• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for some information Please/ M1078 - M1083

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question one - I was needing starter numbers, my tag is missing/ Caterpillar engine/ 24 volt/ I presume this starter is a Prestolite, I was wondering if I can get Delco instead/ Am I pressing to ask for maybe a gear reduction unit instead of direct drive/ The truck is a working brush truck and I am not able to remove it from service so I would like to be able to get one to minimize down time.
Question two/ The driver side door glass needs replacing. Need help in either buying replacement or is their a number to be able to get a replacement glass itself?

Assistance will be greatly appreciated! Lugnuts

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m a little confused, if the truck is working, why do you need a starter? FMTVs have lots of gremlins but the starter is not one of them.
On the window, that can be problematic. Check ebay and call around to all the dealers such as Eastern.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m a little confused, if the truck is working, why do you need a starter? FMTVs have lots of gremlins but the starter is not one of them.
On the window, that can be problematic. Check ebay and call around to all the dealers such as Eastern.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter works satisfactorily to get it started when cold, when hot the amp draw goes high and drags. The problem is not in the cables or connections. I hope this answers your question.

snowtrac nome

I would have to dig up the box for the part number but yes you can use a cat starter I have one in mine the cat starter is a delco and built much better than the prestoite mine bent thr clutch fork on the presto light it was a light little stamping the delco one is cast and much more robust

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have to dig up the box for the part number but yes you can use a cat starter I have one in mine the cat starter is a delco and built much better than the prestoite mine bent thr clutch fork on the presto light it was a light little stamping the delco one is cast and much more robust
Thank you for the information. I'll see what Cat has to say. Lugnuts

coachgeo

Thank you. Spare parts for these vehicles seem to be difficult to get a hold of. Lugnuts
not really.... just got to learn a new set of parts houses..... any large commercial truck like these use a whole different network of parts places than what the average person is use to using.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
aftermarket cat starter will fit but is light duty compared to the mil one, but then they are only $200 new instead of $1700 but are not waterproof.

Last edited: