• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Someone to Fabricate a Roof Rack for My LMTV

VertigoPilot

Hi, all!

I'm looking for someone who's capable and willing to fabricate a roof rack for my M1079/8. I'm thinking that I'd like something similar to Broke Overland's rack, but not picky on the precise details. Seeking suggestions, advice and/or contacts.

Thanks!
Jim

coachgeo

Hi, all!

I'm looking for someone who's capable and willing to fabricate a roof rack for my M1079/8. I'm thinking that I'd like something similar to Broke Overland's rack, but not picky on the precise details. Seeking suggestions, advice and/or contacts.

Thanks!
Jim
support your local merchants. Odds are extremely high their is a hard working mom and pop fab shop in your area. Ask for recommendations at a local place that caters to 4wd crowd.... , etc.

Reworked LMTV

Hi, all!

Thanks!
Jim
I agree with with CoachGeo.

I would say this as well. When you have one fabricated, make sure that there are adequate protections for that windshield. The ones I have seen thus far do not do enough. When I build mine it will be better thought out than what I have seen. Windshield can be hard to replace on the fly, and hard to find, and not cheap.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet Jeff Symanski on this list (TacticalTruck) could do it, but his company is located in VA...opposite side of the country. Jeff does excellent work all around. I highly recommend him. Maybe check with him.

VertigoPilot

I agree with with CoachGeo.

I would say this as well. When you have one fabricated, make sure that there are adequate protections for that windshield. The ones I have seen thus far do not do enough. When I build mine it will be better thought out than what I have seen. Windshield can be hard to replace on the fly, and hard to find, and not cheap.
Very good point, thanks! I'd be very interested to learn what specific design features a well-made rack should have in that regard. I'm not sure how a rack would protect a windshield, other than by installation of a wire grid I suppose.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I'm not sure how a rack would protect a windshield...
I don't have anything drawn up but mine will have a header bar above the windshield and another down low across the base (but with enough space to remove/change wipers, etc). I am contemplating a vertical bar in the center as well, and/or possibly a bolt-in grid section toward the outer edges to combat tree limbs in the NW.

Spacing will be a balance between achieving protection and maintaining visibility. Obviously, I won't be able to protect it from everything but it's definitely something to consider and aim for.

BTW, I am in Anacortes from time to time (not with the truck yet though). Would love to check out your rig.

Reworked LMTV

Very good point, thanks! I'd be very interested to learn what specific design features a well-made rack should have in that regard. I'm not sure how a rack would protect a windshield, other than by installation of a wire grid I suppose.
Look at how a branch from a tree sweeps across the truck front, and it will make sense. You want to keep things that sweep from connecting with the windshield with any degree of force.

I show more when I make mine.

B-Dog

Agreed with everyone else. I could do it but I'm sure you have 4x4 shops that would be much more efficient (cheaper) and local. Find someone that can roll tube, not just a bender. A roller will give you the sweep that follows the windshield like BrokeOverland.

mauinate

I'm in so cal and having one made, but slightly different than his. I'm building in a fairing with lockable storage on the roof. PM me if you'd like details. It wouldn't be hard for the shop to make 2, even with changes.

B-Dog

Hi, all!

Thanks!
Jim
Can you weld or have any interest in learning? I don't see it on their website but saw on one of their youtube videos that traxoffgrid.com has a DIY roof rack kit. You'd have to contact them for more info/pictures.

VertigoPilot

That's a very interesting option, but a man's gotta know his limits, and welding is apparently mine.
I'll be happy to pay for a unit ready for final bolting. Drilling and wrenching are in my wheelhouse. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks