• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for source of RT-524 Radio Bracket

cruzinz28

I'm trying to source what I call an "enclosure bracket" that mounts around the RT-524 Radio and allows you to mount the KY-57 Encryption boxes on top. I'm not sure if they were installed in any particular vehicle but I have seen this setup installed in two M151's so far from what I can find on the internet.

If anyone knows of a source for this setup I would appreciate any information you can provide.

RT-524 - Radio Bracket - 2.jpgRT-524 - Radio Bracket - 1.jpg

papakb

Officially these were referred to as "security covers" because they were originally intended to provide a mounting for the KY-38 and KY-57 crypto units. Unfortunately, because they were plain steel most of the ones that got out went to metal scrap unless someone knowledgeable say them and kept them out of the metal bin.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Guyfang

Staff member
We installed them on every possible configuration of vehicle you can imagine in the 80's. So there were lots around, but like Papakb said, most went to the scrap heap.

cruzinz28

I just got a break in work to check everyone's posts. I really appreciate the help!

Yesterday I was able to find a part number off a diagram and that led me right to 123mack's suggestion. I should have one on the way after my order processes along with some other things I decided to buy while I was shopping.

The funny thing is I heard from two other people that they were surprised I found one and that they didn't end up scrapped too.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a component number? I actually am looking for one as well.......

Z

cruzinz28

Okay... my lead might have washed up. They "can't find" the one they had listed for sale, but are still looking at this time.

So, any other leads would be greatly appreciated! I did try to search for "Private jarhead" on here, but that user name doesn't come up.

As for part number(s), here you go:

NSN 5810-01-043-4643
SC-D-446186 (Left Mounting Plate)
SC-D-446187 (Right Mounting Plate)
SC-D-691342 (Large Mounting Plate)

At this point, I might consider borrowing one from someone as well if they could part with it. This way I could take measurements from all three components and make an accurate CAD File. I do have a friend at a fabrication business that could replicate it for me/us and probably even spray it the correct OD Green since they also produce smaller components for military projects regularly. Just a thought if I can't find a lead on one.

All though TB 11-2300-478-30-1 states the following:

"(1) Transition installation - All existing COMSEC Vinson security equipment will be transferred from the M151/M561 to the HMMWV except for the Support Assembly SC-D-691342, NSN 5810-01-043-4643."

This arrangement would work better for me when combining the radio installation with the VIC-1 Intercom System in my truck. CARNAC also confirmed that he did see them installed in this manner in the field as well. This way I can utilize the Intercom mounting plate as it should be, vertical, and them relocate the two speakers I have to alternate locations.

Attachments

cruzinz28

Well, took a little bit but I did locate one. Each person I was referred to forwarded me to another person. The last person had 1 NOS bracket left.

image.jpg

i am making a detailed CAD file of all three pieces. My plan is to give the file to my friend who works in a fab shop to see what the cost would be to reproduce these if there is a decent amount of interest in these.

Wire Fox

Well, took a little bit but I did locate one. Each person I was referred to forwarded me to another person. The last person had 1 NOS bracket left.

View attachment 684730

i am making a detailed CAD file of all three pieces. My plan is to give the file to my friend who works in a fab shop to see what the cost would be to reproduce these if there is a decent amount of interest in these.
And then share the CAD file, please, so we don't lose it to time when you're done making them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks