• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for the specific difference between "Split Rings" and "Split Rims/Widowmaker"

GopherHill

I don't have a problem using split ring rims as on military trucks. I like not having machines to break down the tire for flat repair. Caution is always in order when reinflating after repair. Have the right tools for the job. The rest is your sweat equity.

Reactions: HDN

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A simple ID of the safe wheels is the ring is stamped "LTS".

Those are very hard to assemble incorrectly.

$100 worth of tools and you can learn how to do it yourself and never depend on tire shops again.

I've been doing my own for over 55 years now and NEVER had a close call with them.

Dennis

BEASTMASTER

you want to feel safe, put a couple pieces of chain around the tire and wheel when you start inflating the tire. i usually go around the ring smacking it with the sledge making sure it seats GOOD. if you don't feel comfortable let a tire shop do it. i've been doing rims for a good 55 yrs. and never had an incident, except for smashing my fingers with the sledge hammer. never did it again though.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
trying to convince my local tire shop they are safe
Is your shop a commercial truck tire place? I've found more of the commercial truck tire places will work with Deuce wheels than places that deal with mostly cars.

For instance, and you might have these chains near you: Les Schwab won't touch them, but GCR will.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

I'd think a commercial or construction/ag tire place would be fine with them. The two near me would do them no problem, one of them having done my dad's M37 rims in the past.

When it comes to the bolt-together rims, though, they seem to charge extra since it takes them extra time to break them down and put them back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks