• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a pyrometer.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The one I have needs 12v to run, I would look for one that doesnt need any electricity to operate excluding the lights of course. I already burned mine out once by letting it ground itself out accidentally giving it a 24v jolt.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my set-up.
(Apologies to you who have seen it many times before)
The probe comes from Hewitt (about $40 new), the gauge from a road tractor in a salvage yard (also Hewitt $20 used). The boost gauge is an industrial 15 psi pressure gauge ($10 new). The warning light is for the flame heater monitor (homemade).

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SOmebody here does have one that looks exactly military. They punched an extra hole in the dash panel where the bright indicator went. Looks fantastic.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Tom Bauer did.

From the operator's standpoint, I think that it is better to have the pyro more in the line of sight, since it's constantly monitored while driving, in hilly country in particular.
It's easier to see the difference between 1,150 and 1,200F on a larger size dial too.

I like Armada's dual gauge.

rmgill

So you're trucking along doing what you always do but on hills and the pyrometer gets hotter. What do you do? Pull over and idle down to let the engine cool off?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Ryan, when the EGT starts to appoach 1,200F, you simply ease off the pedal, which means that you reduce speed slightly. The boost may hit 12 psi at this time, which is okay.
The EGT changes very rapidly.
Flooring it with a loaded deuce (as in gross weight) could very easily produce EGT's above the feard 1,200 F temp, especially when the fuel has been turned up a bit.
Would be interesting to know what the EGT would be under similar circumstances for a stock deuce...

Trango

Funny... I was going to use the location where the bright indictor went, as well.... it made the most sense. :)

I made a little angled box out of some 18 ga or something, and screwed it to the dash on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

I also used a 75ohm drop resistor and some factory connectors to be able to tap into the flame heater switch (now unused). The resistor was too much, since I get 9.3V from 24v when the cold batteries (engine off). So much for my "safety factor". I may use a smaller (less ohmage) resistor in the future.

I have some pics but my paint turned out like shite so I'm reluctant to show them. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Bob, this pic is right up against the roof right? You said its where your head is. LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks