• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking to buy my first 5 ton on GL. help

Beast

Sorry guys for a noob question. I'm looking to bid on my first 5 ton. what kind of price range can i expect? it says that it will start and run, should this be drivable? i have a 3 hr drive home, and last what should i expect and bring with me? thanks

luckily i do have a bro from the Corp that was a diesel mech going with me if i win the bid

Csm Davis

It will be according to lots of factors, like 800 or 939 series, how many like it are selling at that site that day, what type it is dump, cargo, tractor, wrecker, ect...

KsM715

Carefull with this thread. Do not post a link to auction. Do not post the sale or lot number or even what GL site it is at. Just copy one or two of the GL pics to your computer then post them here.

As for price and running condition. Your Best bet is to just search SS. All of your question have been answered before, multiple times and they are usually very long answers. No one want to try to re-type it all again.

Edit: For instance I found this thread by searching "starts+runs+auction" http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/68490-need-advice-transport-auction-win.html

Read it. Its for an M35a3 but most of that thread applies to all MV's bought at auction.

I would search for things like "auction+prices" in the 5 ton forum ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/71107-m923s-m925s-how-much-they-going-now.html )or "what+to+bring" or "first+recovery"

Search will not reveal instant answers. You must read and read and read some more to understand everything you are looking for.

Last edited:

jamesfrom180

Good luck, KsM715 is completely correct.

The search function here is well "F'n Fun"! I find if you open up the search window, and not use the pull down version, but the "advanced search" you will have more luck. This also will allow you to search just the 5t and up forums. Though recovery of a smaller truck may apply. Again READ READ READ...

Not to completely Hi-jack this one but anyone out there have an idea of a good Hiab K-Boom model to put on the back of a 5t? I thought CraneTruck talked about it in a thread but for the life of me I can't find it. :shock:

My thoughts are 1/2 to 3/4 or rated cargo capacity off road, for the shortest of boom rated lifts. Or is this way off base?

Beast

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your time and answers. it's a 900 series there are two going at this location. one says starts and runs while the other says running condition unknown

jamesfrom180

Beast one thing you may want to find out is the condition of your tires if you win the truck. The CTIS is notorious for leaking down and the singles have a history of not taking side wall folding well. I think type of tire is also important to finding out how well they will do.

Beast

very good point on the tires, in the pic they all look good. I will have to go get a CDL maybe. i've talked to my ins agent(Nation wide) and they able to write me a policy so that's good to go. I will try to get a preview. thanks for all of the advise guys

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do realize that a CDL is not just an endorsement on your current license don't you? There is a fairly involved written test and then you will need a CDL truck and driver for the test. At least that is how it works in N.J.

Rick

Last edited:

m816

Never buy anything from just pictures. You have to take the time to go and kick the tires. Take a jump pack or two or something 24V and see if you can get it running. If not, make arrangements before hand to have it hauled home.

quickfarms

It is best to preview the truck.

In the auction I got my truck there were 6 trucks.

We previewed all 6 trucks and decided that three were ok and three were parts trucks.

I had my truck hauled off of the base.

If you do not have the experiance to know what to look at then you should take someone with you who can inspect the truck.

There are too many things that need to be checked to list.

Your CDL training will go over the pretrip.

Good luck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are several members in your area...maybe someone will take you out to the site in a deuce and see if the truck will slave off.

The 900 series are automatics and that opens up a whole new can of worms as far as recovery goes.

It is a straight air brake system...if it wont crank and you can't get air into the system you can't release the brakes unless you cage the brakes (which means you have no brakes at all). Even with the brakes caged you will still have to drop the drive shaft to tow it (even if you have a wrecker pick it up from the rear you have to drop the front drive shaft).

GL has a bad habit of dragging trucks around with forklifts if they can't release the brakes.

Horror story: My buddy bought two M915's out of SC and they had dragged them around so much the tires had actually blown out. He ended up scrapping both of them.

I too have bought trucks sight unseen but that was when I was selling a lot of them.

The only truck I ever bought that had a bad engine was my M816 money pit.

I did get some that had brake or electrical issues.

If you are close take the time to preview.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I would figure in my budget the cost of trucking if needed. You may be ok do drive it but you may not. Take a look at some of Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - View Profile: steve6x6x6 post to see what can go wrong with a recovery.

You're going to need to get your CDL (if needed) before you buy your truck or have a CDL driver with you when you pick it up. As has been said above, it's going to take some time to get your CDL. Theoretically I guess you could get it in one day but that's assuming you have an appointment with the drivers testing center, have studied enough to pass the test (written and driving), and have a truck to take the test in.

Beast

I am a Firefighter so I am familiar with the air brake system and i had a class A before, passed it in one try. wasn't to difficult. the base is three hours away and not sure if i can get there before the auction. it may go outside my price range anyway. lol i just liked the idea that it was close. very good points that i need to consider.