• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking to get my first Deuce

cj454

Hi I am new to this site and I love the 6x6 trucks. I am currently looking at one.
I have started to troll the site looking for info. I would love an automatic one but dont seem to see that many on the market. I did find a reasonable 2.5 with the 5spd. Have to go look at it.

I am wondering what should I be looking for?
I know Jeeps and other 4wd vehicles but not the Deuce.

I am 6'5” in height. Do you see any issue with me fitting in the truck.. height/leg/head room etc. I am skinny.

Any links or pictures etc that you can point me to I would appreciate.words of advice etc.

If I get the 2.5T truck has anyone put an auto in one? Just wondering if thats an option long term down the road. I have several ideas for the truck over the next 5 or 6 years. Various stages usages etc.

How hard is it to get parts like brakes, filters tune up parts if any. Normal wear items as well has hard to get parts. I am guessing you cannot just go to the local auto part store and say I want a set of brake for a military Deuce.

What fuels will it burn. I know diesel and about any old oil I was told. I am guess not gas. What kind of distance can you get out of a tank. I am assuming 10mpg if you are unload and lucky. How big a tank do they usually have?

I want to do a nice snorkel. Not that I will ever need it but its cool LOL. Loved it on my Jeep. Hate to sell the Jeep but I so want a 6x6.
Has anyone put an aux tank in the bed to get more distance? Is that legal to do? I am assuming it is as I see pickups with fuel tanks in them all the time.

What kind of seat upgrades will fit. I want a better seat than whats in there. May be a semi seat?
what about seat belts? does it have any need them etc?

OK enough questions just some thoughts I was having.

Love the site and more trolling for me. :)

Have a great day

CJ

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Skinny helps but 6.5' is tall. You will not be wearing any hats in your truck rofl

The best possible advice I can give you is to acquaint yourself with the search feature-there are literally thousands of threads in the Deuce forum, which cover almost every topic imaginable. We just had a pretty in depth discussion of auxiliary tank mountings and the legal issues involved.

As a new guy to the hobby, I'd recommend just spending some time each day, reading the deuce forum, starting at page one. You will find answers to all your questions and you wll find all the experiences and trucks that owners have already found and shared with the community.

Good luck!

mikeroot2

I'm 6'4" and have no problems with hitting the roof. Most parts are readily avail. There are many surplus distributors that specialize in this. Saturn Surplus, Memphis, Eastern, OD Iron, Erik's Military Surplus, CCEquipment, just to name a few. And there is always the dreaded eBay.They might have seat belts, or they may have been cut out like mine were, but replacements are out there. 50 gallon fuel tank and 8-11 MPG and the multi-fuels will burn just about anything. Just Google "M35A2" you'll find a lot out there.

63sierra10

As far as automatic goes I would look at an M35A3. The older, less expensive, and easier to purchase truck is the M35, A1, and A2, and all of it's variants, it is less likely to have an automatic unless someone adapted one. I personally like the M35 version. Unless you want to go even older and look at an M135, M211, or a CCKW, which are all gassers.

cj454

thank you all. I have pent a bunch of time on google. lots of info out there. I like the M35A models. That is the one I am looking at.
I was hoping to go see it next weekend but unless i get someone to drive with me i wont be able to. I dont wan to make and offer and pay for and then leave it there. You never know what will happen.

If anyone has any pointer on what to look for when buying please let me know.

Must say this site is very cool.

RAYZER

I love my deuce!:driver: the 5 speed overdrive is part of the fun in driving a deuce, in fact, all of the quirks that the deuce has makes it unique to own and drive, i agree that some mods are desireable like another air ride seat for the pass side for the wife ( if u can get her to ride in it ) and a extra fuel tank , im going to relocate my spare tire and mount a deuce tank there for a total of 100 gal. welcome aboard!

cj454

if i buy this 71 deuce i am looking at how hard is it to find the radio box for the back? I want to may be make a camper out of it down the aord. This truck will take that right? Just take the flat bed off and bolt the box on.

How hard is it to find just the box?
What are they caller or what part # should I be looking for?

SixSpeed

Banned
if i buy this 71 deuce i am looking at how hard is it to find the radio box for the back? I want to may be make a camper out of it down the aord. This truck will take that right? Just take the flat bed off and bolt the box on.

How hard is it to find just the box?
What are they caller or what part # should I be looking for?
Yes, you could bolt on the "radio box". The box is typically off an M109. It is technically a "shop van".

They come up for sale every now and then.

cj454

the one i am looking at is $4800 and an extra $700 for whit pto winch and if it want it a mint (relatively) trailer to match it.

thoughts on this price wise? remember i ma in SFL and it would cost to much to ship something.

Welcome to the club, you'll find that the water is warm around here.

More good info on this site and more helpful folks than you could imagine.

Seems like there are more ways to "skin a deuce" than you can imagine: box stock to fully customized.

If a fella has the werewithal and the funding he could probably find a way to make these things walk on water...wait...that's been done. :grin:

I've owned my truck for about 2 weeks now and all of my plans to modernize or otherwise spiff it up are already out the window as I now feel like many of the owners on here who say: it's an amazingly addictive machine just the way it is.

Good luck and be safe! :driver:

mikeroot2

the one i am looking at is $4800 and an extra $700 for whit pto winch and if it want it a mint (relatively) trailer to match it.

thoughts on this price wise? remember i ma in SFL and it would cost to much to ship something.
If it's in good shape that price is not out of line from a private party. You don't have to go through the hassle and mystery of a GL auction and $700 for the winch(installed?) and trailer is a good price. You have the benefit of kicking the tires and taking it for a spin from a private seller.

cj454

this is what he had to say about the motor.. does this change the value or the truck? I dont know much about them...

I had listed the motor was a ldt but it is a lds-465-1a with a c turbo.
The stock number is 2320-077-1616
The contract number is DAAEO6-70-C-0001

What is that?

Last edited:

cj454

If it's in good shape that price is not out of line from a private party. You don't have to go through the hassle and mystery of a GL auction and $700 for the winch(installed?) and trailer is a good price. You have the benefit of kicking the tires and taking it for a spin from a private seller.
no winch is not installed. but has everything but some of the bolts.

Are they hard to install?

velociT

this is what he had to say about the motor.. does this change the value or the truck? I dont know much about them...

I had listed the motor was a ldt but it is a lds-465-1a with a c turbo.
The stock number is 2320-077-1616
The contract number is DAAEO6-70-C-0001

What is that?
Can't verify the #'s for you, but if it has a running LDS, it will not affect the price negatively.

The LDS is the 5-ton motor.

cj454

Can't verify the #'s for you, but if it has a running LDS, it will not affect the price negatively.

The LDS is the 5-ton motor.
is that better? its still tri fuel he said.

sorry for all the ?? just trying to educate myself before I purchase the wrong truck

How do I post pictures here?

cj454

no electric wipers or heater are these hard to do or add later on?

no if i can just find someone to buy my 92 YJ jeep to pay for this thing. ..

Last edited:

cj454

well it was great to drive one of these trucks today. I will have to think about it. now. The cab was a bit short for my long legs and I was looking at the wiper motor i am so tall.

Not sure about the clutch and my knee/back. long term.

I want on ebut tis may not be the right truck for me. I will have to look at what else is out there. A crew cab would be good as it would giv eme more leg room.