• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lookkng for advice on M1009 replacement dual exhaust system

George DeCresce

Hello😀everyone!
I have an M1009 CUCV Blazer and I am looking for advice on total replacement of the dual exhaust system.
I want to do the entire system front to back completely with stainless steel parts once and that way it will last (hopefully) forever.
Any advice on where to buy all the parts or the best place to have it done profesionally?
I live in upstate N.Y.

HelluvaEngineer

I recently had mine redone. I wasn't sure which kits would fit so I had a highly rated muffler shop do mine. The tech was big into old diesels so he talked me into some other work as well like replacing the glow plugs and rear diff fluid, master cyl, etc. I paid $475 installed for the custom exhaust, fwiw. They gave me the option of straight out the back pipes or bent like originals (which I chose because I'm gonna weld a custom rear bumper.) The tech guy was a C10 offroad enthusiast so he gave me a little more clearance on the rear pipes and kept them as high as possible, which I appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whew, the muffler business can be exhausting! Sorry, from my days in the business. I've found that now-a-days, exact fit parts aren't very available. The large chain I worked for in the first half of the 80's had lots of parts on hand. We also had a bender card system and could bend up parts to the factory specs. Even the card systems are going by the wayside. I have an 87 Chevy V-30 with a 350. Right front exhaust pipes don't seem to exist. Maybe I'll stumble into a bender and card system one day and bend my own again.

George DeCresce

Thank👌you fellow MV enthusiasts for the replies on my inquiry on total replacement of the exhaust system of my M1009 and BTW Happy🥳New🥳Years day as well👍...
I am hoping to get more replies on this subject
as I do want a totally stainless steel exhaust system that is as closest to the original system as possible, and the cost of doing this is not a problem as I feel the investment is worth👌it.
I use my M1009 almost daily as I prefer to enjoy it, I am a retired NYARNG soldier where my MOS was 63B30 "wheeled vehicle and power generator mechanic" and performing maintenance at the organizational level.
I recalled how impressed I was when we got the CUCV vehicles in the mid eighties and made my mind up then and there that the day will come when I own CUCV's myself😊.
The CUCV's are much better to use on the road than the true M-series military vehicles I used to own when I joined the guard in the late 70's
as they can keep up with the road traffic and more closed up warm🔥and happy😉when driving in the winter here in upstate N.Y.
I wonder if anyone on Steel Soldiers could tell me thier own experieces with the muffler shop in Fredonia Pa. that makes stainless steel exhaust systems, they are a 6 hr. drive from me but I will do this in the spring if they are recommended by anyone who got thier CUCV done in stainless steel by this business and it was performed to thier total satisfaction and recommendation.

ehuppert

George,

Another retired NYARNG soldier here who also started out as a 63B (OMS7) when it also included power generators! Then moved on to 92Y (AGR) and eventually ended my career (retirement) in Latham in the POTO shop.

Despite all that.....

Would think there's a exhaust shop in the Albany area that can bend up exhaust in stainless? I know we have a guy in Kingston that does this sort of work and Albany area is substantially larger! With the low output of the 6.2 I find it really hard to believe that mandrel bends would make any difference power wise. If you know anyone involved in car clubs or vintage/performance cars they would be the people to ask about custom exhaust work .... This is not a difficult system to bend up!

My 1008 has walker tailpipes, stainless mufflers and i bent up from headers (SBC) back to mufflers. This is a work vehicle and gets minimal miles so not to concerned about exhaust rotting off! Last steel system lasted almost ten years!

George DeCresce

George,

Another retired NYARNG soldier here who also started out as a 63B (OMS7) when it also included power generators! Then moved on to 92Y (AGR) and eventually ended my career (retirement) in Latham in the POTO shop.

Despite all that.....

Would think there's a exhaust shop in the Albany area that can bend up exhaust in stainless? I know we have a guy in Kingston that does this sort of work and Albany area is substantially larger! With the low output of the 6.2 I find it really hard to believe that mandrel bends would make any difference power wise. If you know anyone involved in car clubs or vintage/performance cars they would be the people to ask about custom exhaust work .... This is not a difficult system to bend up!

My 1008 has walker tailpipes, stainless mufflers and i bent up from headers (SBC) back to mufflers. This is a work vehicle and gets minimal miles so not to concerned about exhaust rotting off! Last steel system lasted almost ten years!
Hello😀ehuppert, George DeCresce here😊
Thank you for your commentary I am always very👍happy to hear from a fellow soldier😉

If your would ever like to call me at your convenience I would really appreciate👌it.
518-399-5555 mobile talk or text 24/7/365

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks