• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose steering

lindsaym

Working my way through the issues with my M1009, all fairly minor (so far). Next up is the loose steering. It's not awful, and I drive about fifteen miles on the highway everyday with no issues, but with winter hitting, I'm driving on ice a lot more and would prefer some tighter control. It hasn't gotten any worse since I bought it six months ago, but there is a tad more play than I'd like. Any advice on whatI should start looking at would be appreciated. Thanks!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Get a helper to turn the wheel back and forth, look at everything under the front end, ball joints tie rod ends etc. replace as needed. Also look at your steering box, make sure the slop is not in the gearbox. It may need adjusting. Procedure is most likely in a TM for the CUCV.

Aurora

I replaced my ball joints, tie rod ends and drag link. That helped some but I still wasn't satisfied with the way it handled so I changed the steering box. Now it drives great with no loose feeling.

lindsaym

Thanks for the assist guys. I do have the TMs, and I've found the setion regarding steering, but much of it is written as if you aready know quite a bit about the components, which I don't. I'll do some research on the suggested parts and see what I can find. Thanks!

Hasdrubal

A good wheel alignment shop can tell you if your steering box needs replacing. Be careful where you source a steering box from. I got a new refurbished unit from the local parts place here, when it was installed I was told it had more play than my original worn out box. It appears they just refinished the outside. Had to remove it, return and get a box from a dedicated steering box rebuilder.