• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose wheel-nut indicators OliveDrab anyone?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following up on Check your nuts thread.. I have found a supplier that will do custom colours...

http://www.wheel-check.com/?gclid=CMqb36XBlrsCFcVFMgodS24A7A

But they have a minimum run of 5000.

The fluorescent green ones seem to sell for about $120 for a set of 100 (tractor trailer), as yet I haven't heard what price they'd want for OD.

I was thinking of getting them and selling them in sets of 60 (most 5 tons being 6x6).

What would be the interest in this community? Would people want to pay $1.20 (and upwards?) each for them?????

Comments anyone...

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if you can paint the lime green ones? Installing these tells a commercial vehicle enforcement officer you are serious about safety.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are for Amatures. Loose nuts will have a minute line of rust around the edges. You can see that in your "walk around"! A Pro, already knows that.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lime green ones do fade. Mine have been on maybe 10 months in the banana republic sub tropic sun :)

I would say they are now green but not "fluorescent" lime green.

Mine were .60 retail and to the right wholesale account maybe .40-.50 each as I don not have a hook up at Truck Pro.

I would be skeptical of the paint holding to the plastic? You do have to flex them a little to install over the shoulder of the lug nut.

They do come in other sizes besides 1 1/2

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry but they would be good for us guys that have bifocals and may nut see that rust line and just because I can"t see small details does not make me a amature thank you.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are for Amatures. Loose nuts will have a minute line of rust around the edges. You can see that in your "walk around"! A Pro, already knows that.
I do do a class A "pre trip" every time, (I could say that calling it a "walk around" is also amateur!... but I won't ;)) and do know about rust trails and witness marks, I was just trying to offer a purchasing service for those that may want them - amateur or otherwise...

A lot of fleets are looking at the Hi-viz ones - I also appreciate that other OOIDA members may think they are not in keeping with 'chrome shop mafia', stretched frame, low riding, long hood custom owners style.....
Not putting you (Rosco) in that league - your posts are usually very professional and always informative...

Not sure if a military neutral - ie black, would be better than OD, since some 'khaki' (sand) owners may not want OD on their wheels - 'thaughts' people....

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black would be fine on my tan truck. With but most deuce, wheels are black. So you would be hiding something that needs to be seen.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black on black - maybe not a good idea, though I am not suggesting that the "walk around" be done from 50'. I think the shape alone out of place would show a loose nut obviously enough, even at 5' distance...

What about red? Some military stuff has "don't touch" red paint on nuts (not painting the lug nuts red though)....

Still awaiting pricing and a lot more feedback/concensus before I commit $_000's to it.
Can't afford to do more than one colour/size at a time.

More research has shown that the Canadian made green ones are about 65c each. (I had gotten the $1.20 from ebay.uk due to my search words!!) Still waiting to hear what a 'custom' colour would be.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember reading a post a few years back of a member who just painted a white strip across the lug nuts. Safety trumps style.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nut black on black.jpg Quick sketch of black on black for comparison. forgot to add the rust drip stain!

... trouble with painting a stripe is that when nuts are tightened or wheels changed, stripe has to be realigned... but it would work (colour blindness excepting!)

nut black on khaki.jpgnut red on khaki.jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a poll on colour? But how to do one.... do I need to start a new thread in the 'poll' section or can one be added to this thread?

OD.........................
Black.....................
Red.......................
White....................
other(?)...............

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLACK! Arrow will point movement. **When installed properly they should all point the same direction so it is obvious from a distance when a problem arises.

The rust trick works well on dry wheels, but wet/muddy these are indispensible.

Last edited: