• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Losing speed in 5th?

cbvet

Took several vehicles to the July 4th parade in LaPorte Indiana. Biggest audience we've EVER had!

On the way home, my non-turbo Deuce started losing top speed/rpm.
2Nd, 3rd, & 4th wound up to 2600 rpm just fine. But once I got into 5th, I couldn't go over 1900-2000 rpm.

About 200 miles since all fuel filters changed. Level ground, no load. Checked all hubs & drums & found none overly warm.

Too hot to work on it right now, but I'll have to soon.
Any ideas?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Even though you have fresh filters doesn't mean that there was not water and crud in the tank that got sucked into them.

Whenever there is a loss of power like you describe the first suspect should be the fuel filters.

Other possibility could be air getting into the system thorugh a loose connection or hairline crack in a line.

Anytime I get a new deuce the first item of business is to completely drain the fuel tank and let it air dry.....then put a shopvac hose in and suck as much dried out crud as possible out.......you would be amazed at what you find in the bottom of a fuel tank in a 30 plus year old truck.

My best score was several dollars worth of quarters that had ended up in one....never did figure that one out since someone had to have pulled the strainer out to put them in.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have that turbo here Eric. Gimpy, haven't forgotten the LDS intake elbow, just have no time.

cbvet

Gimpy- Generally level ground.

Wreckerman- I thought filters first, but as I said they're recent. And truck ran fine the 1st 45 miles of this trip. I'll have to check them I guess.

By the way, there was a story in the news here lately, about a guy who blew up his car while using a shop vac to clean his gas tank. Have you & my wife been talking again? SH-T!

Recovery- I'll PM on turbo.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
By the way, there was a story in the news here lately, about a guy who blew up his car while using a shop vac to clean his gas tank. Have you & my wife been talking again? SH-T!
Well......I always make sure the tank is free of liquid and has aired out for a day or two.

Yea....I ratted you out to her.roflrofl

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd still lean towards an incline. If it were filters, it prolly wouldn't act up in only fifth. Sometimes it looks flat when there is actually a hill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks