• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loss of Power?

chuck500cc

After about 60 or so miles of driving my M35A2, with D engine and C turbo, has a hard time maintaining and getting to top speed. Hubs feel warm and not hot. Starts and runs fine from cold start. It also struggles on the smallest incline.

AGE|kshaufl

I would look at the fuel filters and the Air Filter. If a no go on the Fuel or Air filters check the fuel pressure. If that is bad check the intank pump.
Did you just pick it up?

chuck500cc

No, it was picked up a couple of years ago. But it runs like a scalded dog and then the power starts to taper off after about 60 miles of highway driving.

stevegr

After about 60 or so miles of driving my M35A2, with D engine and C turbo, has a hard time maintaining and getting to top speed. Hubs feel warm and not hot. Starts and runs fine from cold start. It also struggles on the smallest incline.
For your deuce to run good for 60 or so miles and then start losing power is sounds like something is dragging. Could be several things. 1. Parking brake not fully retracted or adjusted properly 2. Differential(s) very low on fluid causing bearings to get hot. 3. Brakes dragging 4. Outer wheel bearings too tight or not properly greased. Not sure if it's your fuel filters cause it would have low power when it is cold as well. My deuce ran great for a long time, would hit 2600 rpm no problem. My filters became clogged after a year and the engine would only hit 2200 rpm whether it was just started or run for a while. Changed my filters and she's running back at 2600 rpm.

hoop

No, it was picked up a couple of years ago. But it runs like a scalded dog and then the power starts to taper off after about 60 miles of highway driving.
I would have to see this to believe this................

chuck500cc

Temp is good, oil preasure within limits. Funny that is was suggested about the wheel bearings because I changed out a rear seal this weekend. Could air be getting around to the fluid side of the airpack. I just bled the brakes last year with no change to the issue I am having? It will turn full RPM, but when I hit a slight incline and even have to down shift it hold the proper RPM.

Sorry if I'm:deadhorse:

Chuck

91W350

I must be too easy on mine, it seldom sees 2200 and I do not think it has seen 2400 yet, in the 2500 miles I have driven it. Do you guys really run them that hard? Just sit on 2600 and run? Just curious, Glen

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must be too easy on mine, it seldom sees 2200 and I do not think it has seen 2400 yet, in the 2500 miles I have driven it. Do you guys really run them that hard? Just sit on 2600 and run? Just curious, Glen

No, just because it will, doesn't mean you should.

They are rated/designed for max power though(continuous, I believe)

I wonder if any of these fellas would drive their Power Strokes, or Duramax's, or gas engined pickups at max RPM for sustained periods. It will do it, so why not...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never take mine over 2500 RPM.

Try running it the 60 miles or so until it starts losing power. Come to a stop on a slight hill and see if it will roll freely or if something is dragging.

AGE|kshaufl

:ditto:I do like a glcaines idea of checking for binding.

All of the USMC trucks I drove had redline as 2500. Guess they changed the stickers so we wouldn't hammer them. Just saying. Not what is in the manual, but must have been a good reason??? I don't know.

chuck500cc

Has your FDC been bypassed?
Yes FDC has been bypassed. I said that it would start slowing down after 60 minutes or so but on the highway about 60 miles.:-? If it's flat driving and slightly cool outside (under 60*) it will run at 2500 RPM/55 MPH but as soon as I hit an incline/large overpass the best is 2200-2000 and 40 MPHish. I have taken out all the obvious item's out of the question, unless Im missing something.

stevegr

I can vouch for this truck,its a runner! 2600 rpm all day long!
Thanks Ray. Yes sir, my Deuce does run strong. Televisionman007 sold me a good one. I had her up to 2700 rpm (according to the tach) very briefly (about 5 seconds) yesterday. I try to keep her at aound 2000 to 2500 if I'm driving for long periods of time. It's my fault that the filters got clogged. I should have filtered some of the WVO, MO and WTF I was running a little bit better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks