• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost and Found, a 50+ year journey

wgtactical

Lost and found, more than 50 years later and after 30 plus years of searching. Honored to be one of the steps in this journey. Many of you know that we will be completing the restoration of a Cadillac Gage V100 that served with the 504th in Vietnam, but what very few people knew was that this Zippo was found in the bilge area of the V100 more than 30 years ago at the beginning of the restoration. The gentleman who began this restoration (Kells Hogan) had discovered this lighter in the mid 1980's while tearing the vehicle down for restoration, and sent it back to Zippo to have it rebuilt with instructions to not disturb the case. They told him it was a 1966 manufacture, cleaned it and sent a new internal assembly along with the originals back to him. This was when the search for it's owner officially began, with little measurable progress having been made during this pre-computer age time. Now fast forward to yesterday (01/02/2022) when Don Tillman was located with the help from a gentleman in Florida. After speaking with Don on the phone, who thought I was in search of information relating to the V100 he had operated, he began telling me of duties, armament, maintenance challenges, etc., etc. and said if "I start to bore you just stop me."

A little further into the conversation I asked him if the phrase "war is harmful to children and other living things" meant anything to him. There was a pause in his enthusiasm and he said "oh my, that was on my lighter" in a much more serious tone. I then emailed him these pictures and as he looked at them his voice revealed his emotion as he was seeing an old, lost familiar reflection of his youth. Well I knew I had finally found Don Tillman and will be making arrangements to put his lost property in his hand.

I will try and get some written history and experiences from Don as it relates to his time with this vehicle and will update as information comes available.

Thought I'd share a positive experience that is hopefully one of many to come.

ketsueki82

That's just down right heart warming!! Congrats on the "locating" the owner!! Hard to believe that was 50+ years!! A Kuddo's to ZIPPO for taking care of the lighter also!! Most MFG wouldn't give a darn.
That's why I like Zippo products they are really are still a family styled business and you can have them repair any lighter of theirs all the way back to the very first product they made in 1935. I also have a ideal where I prefer local businesses and Zippo is still based in Bradford PA. They would have also replated the lighter case if it was desired but I think it looks better with the patina of wear.

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's why I like Zippo products they are really are still a family styled business and you can have them repair any lighter of theirs all the way back to the very first product they made in 1935. I also have a ideal where I prefer local businesses and Zippo is still based in Bradford PA. They would have also replated the lighter case if it was desired but I think it looks better with the patina of wear.

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk
Simply FANTASTIC... Real customer service @ Zippo for sure!
Being able to find the original owner is a wonderful thing.

wgtactical

I had been looking looking for a pair of M73 dummies or parts kits for this restoration, and with parts being difficult to find (since most went to scrap I'm told) we decided to just bite the bullet and make a very limited run of high quality, non-firing replicas. The turret on this Blood Sweat and Tears V100 was equipped with the M73's and even had a field installed M113 mount just above them for a Ma Deuce to prove how reliable they must have been:p

Anyway stay tuned if you think you'll be in the market for a dummy M73 or two

wgtactical

Been making some progress on the limited run of M73 fake receivers as well as located the M73 mounting parts for the turret in NOS. Finally I was able to get find a period correct M113 A arm to complete the field installed M113 mount for the M2HB. Evidently this mod happened shortly after the M73's became problematic. Anyway this project has definitely been helped along by a few folks who've been generous with their time and seemingly vast resources of V100 knowledge.

Attachments

wgtactical

Been trying to make contact with a 504th veteran that had mentioned several years ago that he specifically remembered seeing the Blood Sweat and Tears V100 during his time in Vietnam and just found out yesterday that he had passed away in February of this year....One more potential chapter forever removed from history. Unfortunately time is not on my side as it relates with the task of running down veterans familiar with this vehicle. RIP Jack, it sure would've been nice to talk with you.

Malcolm Jack Hamilton

wgtactical

I've been trying to locate a pair of ammo boxes for the restoration of the M73 turret on Blood Sweat and Tears and after finding out how difficult they are to come by I decided we'd just build some. I received a working example from John McDonald who is well known in the V100 community. The originals being considered as disposable are really thin and flimsy so I went a bit thicker on the repro's. All stainless construction on the boxes as well as the frames that go on the basket of the turret.

I still need to make a few fixtures for the feed guides then final assembly can start.

Progress so far:

Inside of can test fit (no welding yet)

Outside of can

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks