• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost Fifth Gear

Superdave

My friends duece 5th gear went out on him this summer as he was returning from a parade we had. the trans was getting very noisy until a bang with no 5th any more. when he limped it home and we pulled it out we found 7 broken teeth on the lower cluster with no damage to the top gear at all:?:. also apon inspection was that the second gear some how sized on to the output shaft and scored it up pretty bad ( is that common on the second gear as his first trany was that way and he only put on about 400 miles on this one and it looked new in side before we installed it ?) We managed to put a trans together from the two broken ones but we would like to find another lower cluster, second gear with a good output shaft if any one out there has any good used parts?? Here is a couple of pictures of the gears.

Attachments

jwaller

My friends duece 5th gear went out on him this summer as he was returning from a parade we had. the trans was getting very noisy until a bang with no 5th any more. when he limped it home and we pulled it out we found 7 broken teeth on the lower cluster with no damage to the top gear at all:?:. also apon inspection was that the second gear some how sized on to the output shaft and scored it up pretty bad ( is that common on the second gear as his first trany was that way and he only put on about 400 miles on this one and it looked new in side before we installed it ?) We managed to put a trans together from the two broken ones but we would like to find another lower cluster, second gear with a good output shaft if any one out there has any good used parts?? Here is a couple of pictures of the gears.
I have a lower shaft with good gears. pm me if you want it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the Deuce to a friend that runs a truck garage today. It was very cold and I knew the Deuce was going to be hard to start. I put a magnetic heater on the oil pan for 4 hours before trying to start it. It refused to even fire until I gave it a shot of ether. It took 4 shots of ether before it started. My friend is going to help me swap the trans. During the four mile trek, I lost 4th gear after about 1 mile, closely followed by 3rd gear. I drove the rest of the way in 2nd gear at about 5 MPH with the transmission pounding like someone was hitting it with a sledge hammer. It was especially loud since I had the tunnel covers off. I barely made it - I don't think the transmission had but a few hundred feet left in it.

We're going to replace the clutch and swap the trans on Monday.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it definitely has lube in it. When my problem first started and I lost 5th gear, I pulled the top off the transmission. A lot of teeth were missing on one gear. I'll definitely take pictures and post them once I get the old transmission out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transmission is now out of the Deuce and I'm moving the PTO over to the replacement trans I got from TWRIGHT. Had to clean up the PTO - it was full of trash, but gears look good. I need to replace the rubber boot, which looked good before removal. Old transmission is toast - sorry no pics yet. I'm hoping to have the replacement trans back in the truck tomorrow, but I still haven't replaced the clutch yet. I'm really glad I was able to get the Deuce inside for the work as it has been quite cold here.