• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost my fuel cap.

Drock

Well I got accosted at the fuel pump at 5:00 in the morning in ATL ,by a panhandler. Trying to close my drivers door to get to me, asking for money. So in my haste to get back underway, I must have left my fuel cap on top of the bed rail when I pulled off.:shock: So anybody have an extra for sale? Or know where or if I can find a new one?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was not tethered with a small chain?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I suggest you replace the chain when you get a replacement cap?

rustystud

Go to NAPA or "O-Reilly's Auto" or any auto store for that matter. They all carry them. Remember this is just for a standard Chevy truck guys. I bought two last year for mine. They both are "Stants" . Cost about $10.00 each.
This truck is 90% civilian guys. Nothing magical here.

DREDnot

Remember this is just for a standard Chevy truck guys. This truck is 90% civilian guys. Nothing magical here.
My M1009 has a decidedly oversized filler neck and cap. I am under the impression that they were CUCV specific. You may have a civilian filler/tank/bed retrofit?

Last edited:

rustystud

My M1009 has a decidedly oversized filler neck and cap. I am under the impression that they were CUCV specific. You may have a civilian filler/tank/bed retrofit?
No, it has the standard fuel tank and filler. The diesel units just have the little metal spacer removed. You know that piece of metal that doesn't allow you to fill up with leaded fuels. That's why it looks bigger.

cucvrus

No Rustystud. It is an entirely different fuel cap. I had a few people switch the filler neck and go to the civilian cap just so they can put a locking cap on their CUCV. 1 guy did it just so he didn't have to buy a $50. gas cap. Made perfect sense to me. I don't plan on having my truck filled by a fuel truck. Have a great day.

Drock

Well this is the solution I came up with 20180122_121942.jpg20180122_121959.jpg I used a civilian filler neck I had laying around for a future duel tank mod. As you can see in the picture they are completely different in every way. Including the body flange, rubber hose, and mounting holes. I like the idea of fitting with my theme of being able to stop at any exit along the highway and buy a replacement. I had to use a worm gear style clamp to squish down the CUCV rubber hose to fit the civilian inlet because the one on my other tank was rotted. I may go back later and replace the rubber hose and body flange with the correct bolt on stuff. But for now this should work fine.

Last edited:

rodent

Yep. Gas cap is CUCV specific. If you are using a civi gas cap, yours has already been converted. Just look at the pictures above. Much larger dia on the cucv so the military can use a fuel truck for refills.

rustystud

No Rustystud. It is an entirely different fuel cap. I had a few people switch the filler neck and go to the civilian cap just so they can put a locking cap on their CUCV. 1 guy did it just so he didn't have to buy a $50. gas cap. Made perfect sense to me. I don't plan on having my truck filled by a fuel truck. Have a great day.
I didn't realize that. To bad I threw away my filler necks when I converted to the gas engine. I had to replace the fuel tanks due to rust, so I just bought a new complete system. Just like I should have saved all the electrical parts ! I always seem to get burned when I toss stuff away !

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The post indicates you want it free or cheap. Is your truck the Vortec 7.4-liter V8, or a 5.7-liter V8, or a Detroit Diesel 6.5 L V8 and what year? This is about getting 10 new ones. Is it a pressurized cap which should minimize the search a bit. Is it rated a 16psi cap?

If the truck is NSN 2320-01-123-2665 then the General Motors fuel filler neck is P/N 14063325 which is NSN 2590-01-155-7965 so now where did that "special cap go? CUCV fuelcap.jpg

The Cap, filler opening is P/N 14063326 which is
NSN 2590-01-155-5063

To buy seems to be unobtainium, so why am I thinking 1 ton diesel chevy pickup here. Trying to find dimensions tto cross reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDKWkphZjs

It is a GM part 14063326.
View attachment CUCV fuel filler cap 01232018.pdf

Stant 78225
Overall Height: 2.725 inches nominal
Style Designator: Threaded type (external)
Outside Diameter: 2.830 inches nominal

Stant says they are available
Part Number 30600-A1 Specification
Part No. : 30600-A1 Manufacturer : Stant Mfg Co Inc Cage : 78225
NSN : 2590-01-155-5063 Description : Cap,Filler Opening
FSC : 2590 Miscellaneous Vehicular Components

In this PDF is 1095 diesel fuel filler caps made by Stant to look thru for the match.

CUCV fuelcap.jpg for 50 bucks

Last edited:

Drock

The post indicates you want it free or cheap. Is your truck the Vortec 7.4-liter V8, or a 5.7-liter V8, or a Detroit Diesel 6.5 L V8 and what year? This is about getting 10 new ones. Is it a pressurized cap which should minimize the search a bit. Is it rated a 16psi cap?

If the truck is NSN 2320-01-123-2665 then the General Motors fuel filler neck is P/N 14063325 which is NSN 2590-01-155-7965 so now where did that "special cap go? View attachment 716351

The Cap, filler opening is P/N 14063326 which is
NSN 2590-01-155-5063

To buy seems to be unobtainium, so why am I thinking 1 ton diesel chevy pickup here. Trying to find dimensions tto cross reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDKWkphZjs

It is a GM part 14063326.
View attachment 716354

Stant 78225
Overall Height: 2.725 inches nominal
Style Designator: Threaded type (external)
Outside Diameter: 2.830 inches nominal

Stant says they are available
Part Number 30600-A1 Specification
Part No. : 30600-A1 Manufacturer : Stant Mfg Co Inc Cage : 78225
NSN : 2590-01-155-5063 Description : Cap,Filler Opening
FSC : 2590 Miscellaneous Vehicular Components

In this PDF is 1095 diesel fuel filler caps made by Stant to look thru for the match.
View attachment 716354

View attachment 716351 for 50 bucks
(Just to clarify) I'm a business man myself, I don't mind paying for one, and wasn't asking for a hand out. I was just looking for help finding a replacement new or old within reason.:shrugs: I checked all the part numbers you provided on Stant's web site, and on Ebay, but to no avail. I suppose I could call Stant and see if I get a better answer over the phone? On a side note I find it hard to believe GM went through the trouble of making a specific cap, filler neck, and hose just for this application? It just seems like this would be an easy parts bin pull from a semi truck?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Just to clarify) I'm a business man myself, I don't mind paying for one, and wasn't asking for a hand out. I was just looking for help finding a replacement new or old within reason.:shrugs: I checked all the part numbers you provided on Stant's web site, and on Ebay, but to no avail. I suppose I could call Stant and see if I get a better answer over the phone? On a side note I find it hard to believe GM went through the trouble of making a specific cap, filler neck, and hose just for this application? It just seems like this would be an easy parts bin pull from a semi truck?
Can't say I ever seen a filler on a semi-truck , all I ever seen are direct fill tanks with the filler neck built in.
This was built under government contract and specs . Just like the duel alternators on them , GM made them specific for the CUCV , just like they did with the filler spouts.

Drock

Can't say I ever seen a filler on a semi-truck , all I ever seen are direct fill tanks with the filler neck built in.
This was built under government contract and specs . Just like the duel alternators on them , GM made them specific for the CUCV , just like they did with the filler spouts.
Agreed perhaps not a filler tube on a semi, but more specifically perhaps a school bus, fire truck or some other C70 variant with the body over the fuel tank. It just seems that this large diameter cap would be pretty standard? Especially a wearable safety item such as a plastic ratcheting fuel cap with a rubber gasket?:cookoo:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess it was made special to meet a NATO standad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks