• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost my voltage regulator and in a major storm need help

acesneights1

My Mep002a started overcharging the batteries. It was putting out 33 volts. I understand that this is a common problem but I don't have a spare right now and we have very co,d temps and no power. I pulled the fuse for it to stop the over charging.
my question is my 24v battery charger is at my shop. I took two 12v chargers and put one on each battery which seems to be working but is this ok ?
i wasn't sure if it would cause some kind of loop.

Triple Jim

The only possible problem I can think of is if the 12v chargers have output that is referenced to ground (3rd prong on wall plug). If you've already connected them and the battery voltages are doing what you expect, you've probably proven that it's OK. If there is a problem, a way out might be to use a 2-prong adapter and don't connect the adapter's ground. If you try anything like this, use caution!

Really, if the two batteries are fully charged, they should run a long time without needing to be recharged, so you could check their voltage occasionally, and when it drops to around 24, put the fuse back in for a while until the voltage gets over about 29 or 30. Disconnecting one of the two redundant fuel pumps would reduce the 24v current requirement.

It might be wise to keep an eye on the battery's electrolyte level as well.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is much better to charge both batteries together using one 24 V charger. Both batteries should be identical and equally charged. That being said, you have to do what you have to do. Out of power and cold temperatures sometimes dictates what needs to be done. I would do what you did. Good luck.

Triple Jim

Actually Gary, using two 12v chargers, one on each battery, has the small advantage of equalizing the charge of the two batteries. With a single 24v charger, if one gets charged before the other, it will get overcharged to some extent while the other one comes up to full voltage.

Of course if both batteries are identical and equally charged as you said, the advantage would disappear. I don't know of any disadvantage to using two 12v chargers though.

acesneights1

Thanks guys. It worked and then the storm let up enough for me to make it down to my shop and grab the mil 24v charger.
yeah I definitely wanna fix it asap. I have to do a little digging on replacing the voltage regulator assuming that's what's wrong .
ironically the tree that took out the wires was right in front of my house.

Triple Jim

After you remove the big fan shroud, the DC regulator is out in the open, and relatively simple to change. There are some screw terminals, and you have to unsolder the wires from the fuse holder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks