• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lots of black smoke

jimmcld

I have a M816 that blows out a lot of black smoke even at idle. Am I getting some oil from somewhere or is it just running that rich? It runs great and is very responsive. However, I have had some problem with it not wanting to idle back down, after being reved, when it's cold.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
White smoke=oil burning, maybe bad rings or excess engine wear.

Black smoke= too much fuel or not enough air or both.

Check the air cleaner first and also make sure there is no restriction in the flow path of the air.

Someone may have turned the fuel to it and you are getting unburned fuel out of the stack. Lots of diesel doctors out there commiting malpractice.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM, you had an extreme case! You should get the oil level down. Check the intake, the filter and pipes. If the exhaust is plugged up it will smoke black too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks