• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUD air leak under dash M931A2

DocPA

I have a 1990 931A2 that was a rebuild. I've found bad grounds, air lines crossed on the transfer case and some plugs not plugged in. BUT I have a loud air leak under the dash that starts at higher rpm's and gets very loud when the turbo spools in. It appears to be under the driver side and I just can't find it. It could possibly be a sucking noise cause when I'm driving and hear it and put my hand under the dash I really can't feel any air movement. Air tanks are running at 120psi and the air drier is cycling. Like I said it only does it at high rpm's when the turbo kicks in. Thoughts ??

dmetalmiki

Well I for one don't see any connection between the turbo and in cab piping. I'm wondering if pehaps you are hearing a waste gate overblow? That problem must be driving you nuits. At what (exact and repeated) R.P.Ms. does the noise "kick in"? If it was a saracen I would suggest cooling turbine noise.

DocPA

This is the 8.3 cummins. Starts coming in around 16-1700. Comes in loud between 18-2100. Soon as the trans shifts it goes away till you get back in the turbo power band again. Can't reproduce it with the truck sitting and tromping it to the floor. Only under load driving. Never heard anything like it.

MtnSnow

The minder is plumbed into the engine compartment and is connected to the air filter piping that comes up between the engine & frame from the air filter housing under the drivers door.

Shirehorse

Is there a line under there for the air gauge like on the older M809 series? Mine was damaged at one of the fittings, and leaked air from around said fitting. Not enough to cause the light and low air buzzer to activate, but enough to be annoying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks