• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud Bang between 1st gear and Reverse

DeucesWild11

And the winner is... 212Sparky and Ferroequinologist congrats you get nothing.. but the satisfaction of knowing you were right. I drained the differential fluid tonight.. Funny I first heard a thump when the fluid came out and thought well that's the problem. Then the fluid was draining really slow which I thought was weird.. I tried to put the drain plug back in and it wouldn't go. I put my finger up the plug hole and another chunk of metal was in there.. wow I thought another piece.. then I moved my finger around... another.. another.. well you can see the pics a whole lot. I can't believe the truck still moved with all this crap sloshing around in the differential. A true testament to how strong these trucks are.. Now I am going to drain the front just for piece of mind.. Got a few rear end sources lined up thanks guys for the PMs and posts..

Attachments

DeucesWild11

HeavySteven, sorry I didn't see your post earlier.. The funny thing was I was not jerking on anything. It's a bobbed deuce with 395's. OK I figure the 395's were adding a little resistance but with it being bobbed I figured that reduced allot of resistance. Anyway it came out of no where. I went to the range with a friend, did some shooting and came back home. I never even took it off road! Backed down the driveway and heard the clunk twice, thought that was different/strange and then started the post. I thought it was strange that it happened out of no where, plus the truck was a firetruck with less than 2,000 miles.. I thought this type of stuff would be OK.. weird..but with that much metal fragments this must have been going on for a while no?

eagle4g63

I can say that as SOON as the first piece breaks off..........all heck will come loose on a ring gear, as you have there pieces of teeth, they will just start popping off like crazy, I had a ring gear loose a tooth and not a couple of miles, with the drive shaft removed and running on the front drive, I lost almost half of the teeth and 3 off the pinion!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can say that as SOON as the first piece breaks off..........all heck will come loose on a ring gear, as you have there pieces of teeth, they will just start popping off like crazy, I had a ring gear loose a tooth and not a couple of miles, with the drive shaft removed and running on the front drive, I lost almost half of the teeth and 3 off the pinion!!
All true; only thing is that it is not the ring gear, in this case...
Those teeth are from the bevel gears inside the differential carrier (knowingly a "weak spot")

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks