• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud bangs while operating backhoe

Turkrypty

Has anyone else heard a loud bang/popping sound while operating the backhoe? I hear it when doing tougher tasks like moving the Mog around side to side with the bucket, or when digging hard frozen ground. I think its possibly a spring binding up on the suspension, but can't find the source. I've looked over the machine and cant find anything broken. Im new to Mog ownership, so im only just getting used to operating it. Wondering if this normal.

anyone else experience this?

Pinsandpitons

I’ve heard and felt some loud snap crackle pop type bangs while doing similar things. I too have failed to find a source, though I think it may be related to all of the reinforcement that freightliner added to the frame. It’s all bolted together and if the bolts aren’t 100% torqued in tight you could have a violent shift in a joint but only under high or just the right kind of load. I don’t know. It’s only happened two or three times.

Migginsbros

We heard similar noises at similar situations. Think Pinsandpitons is right. We found small traces between the reinforcement and the frame.
We try to tighten the bolt but he not really move. In some situations we still hear the noise. But rare.

Speedwoble

Maybe worth reminding, the army had a bulletin for the bolts holding the deck to the frame. The bolts would dig into the softer metal, lose tension, then fretting corrosion would start. Fretting corrosion is no fun and can lead to fatigue failures. The solution was to remove the bolts, add a hardened washer, and retorque. Consider looking up this bulletin in the PS magazine scans which were uploaded.

for what it’s worth, the only binding I had was due to dry bushings in the backhoe. A thorough greasing and mine doesn’t pop or bang. It does squeak a lot while stowed and flexing off-road.

Turkrypty

Thank you @peakbagger I will read through this in time. While we are on the subject of downloadable manuals, Do you have a link to the TM's for the SEE? I have been struggling to find copies online
I grease my machine every Tuesday, @Speedwoble but I do believe you may be on to something with those deck bolts.

peakbagger

Thank you @peakbagger I will read through this in time. While we are on the subject of downloadable manuals, Do you have a link to the TM's for the SEE? I have been struggling to find copies online
I grease my machine every Tuesday, @Speedwoble but I do believe you may be on to something with those deck bolts.

I think that's I the set except student manual and the excerpts from the tech bulletins that are stored in the misc tech manuals on this site (Steel Soldiers).

When I was doing my major rewiring exercise I had them loaded on laptop and would do PDF searches for the relevant info and print it out. The shear volume of paper makes it very difficult to go through paper manuals. If you try to print them out be aware you are probably buying a case of toner cartridges.

Turkrypty

Thank you, Im young enough that I don't use much paper. I don't know why but i found those once, and then could never find it again. Lots of reading to do.

Speedwoble

If you try to print them out be aware you are probably buying a case of toner cartridges.
I have used online services like printme1.com to get printed, bound PDF’s shipped to my door for less than I can print for. In the case of the FLU, I had to split the service manuals into half each to fit the page requirement for binding. It is nice to have a paper copy in the garage and an electronic copy in the house to search through.

peakbagger

I agreed with your concept but when I went through the wiring harness repairs prior to having access to the wiring diagram (thank you Captain Hood !) I found that having the laptop out on the table next to the mog and using the search mode on the PDFs was the way to go. If I was planning a procedure I would print out the relevant sections but I found it took a lot less time on the laptop.

The manuals are great resources but I swear some contractor got paid by the pound for them .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks