• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud horns

jamesfrom180

A whistle was just stolen off a parked locomotive here around town. Big brass one by the description put out.:shock:
When you get your plumbed in post up the vids. I'm scrounging up some 4 inch PVC, I know its taking awile for mine.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A whistle was just stolen off a parked locomotive here around town. Big brass one by the description put out.:shock:
When you get your plumbed in post up the vids. I'm scrounging up some 4 inch PVC, I know its taking awile for mine.
Will do!
BTW: I didn't STEAL the whistle I have, but I did get it CHEAP at an estate sale. Bought a wooden box (about 1'Dx1-1/2'Wx3'L) FULL of 2" &3" brass valves, fittings, and the whistle (about 120 lbs) for just $3.00... They DIDN'T know what they had ! ! !

Also...

I'm enjoying this thread as well.

I've always loved the "harmony" of a Four-Chime Steam Whistle. If these PVC Horns could be appropriately "tuned" to produce a nice chord, I could see a nice little set of 4 or 6 mouned under the hood on our Deuce.

fat lady singsfat lady sings(Fat Ladies doing their Air Horn Chorus)fat lady singsfat lady sings

jamesfrom180

The problem as stated before is that the horns/whistles do not have the timber. Tuning is kinda an art. Actual notes can be achieved and tuned but difficult at best. I would not expect it to have been you USAFSS. :eek:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem as stated before is that the horns/whistles do not have the timber. Tuning is kinda an art. Actual notes can be achieved and tuned but difficult at best. I would not expect it to have been you USAFSS. :eek:
The upper chamber on the single-tone whistle I have is "tune-able". The chamber or "bell" is on a threaded post. By screwing the bell to varying "elevations" on the post, you can adjust the GAP between the lower edge of the bell and the AIR SLOT, thereby changing the tone within a limited range.

I suppose this adjustability could be necessary for differing air/steam supply pressures and flow rates. I KNOW it requires at least 60psi through a 3/8" quick connect to make it WHISTLE.

I know that pics will be helpful - I will take some pics as soon as I can and then post them up.

kbush

People now know the value of steam locomotive whistles has gone way up. There are now many steam locomotives around the country missing their whistles.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm putting the Hornblaster P5 540 train horn kit on my deuce as soon as I pick up the DC-DC power converter from a member here. Hornblaster kits are LOUD, even the $500 kits are insanely loud.

The kit can be seen here:

Hornblasters Air Horn Products Catalog! Find The Perfect Train Air Horn For Your Car Or Truck!
That link that you posted WARNS that it's not to be used near pedestrians, 100 feet, etc.....

Hence, I certainly HOPE that you DO NOT intend for this to be your PRIMARY Audible Warning Device (horn) on your MV. I would NOT hook it up via your HORN BUTTON on your steering wheel. As a "secondary horn" or a "fun-toy" kind of addition, you might be better configured, legal and NOT give MV's a BAD NAME in your community. IMHO 2cents

lexluther

Good point, with a vehicle that sticks out as much as the average MV, and a horn that loud, I would be afraid to hit it for fear of having to deal with the cops... I will stick with mine that are Very Loud, even though I would love to have a setup thats REALLY FREAKING LOUD like that hornblaster.

Redneckbmxer24

That link that you posted WARNS that it's not to be used near pedestrians, 100 feet, etc.....

Hence, I certainly HOPE that you DO NOT intend for this to be your PRIMARY Audible Warning Device (horn) on your MV. I would NOT hook it up via your HORN BUTTON on your steering wheel. As a "secondary horn" or a "fun-toy" kind of addition, you might be better configured, legal and NOT give MV's a BAD NAME in your community. IMHO 2cents
I'll be keeping the factory horn too, this will be my get out of the way horn, these things don't stop very good in this area people will pull right out in front of you all the time. I don't plan to be using in on anybody that is close that isn't in a vehicle so their hearing should be fine.

One of the reasons keeping the factory horn is in the event I do get pulled over I can say "that wasn't me, this is what my horn sounds like".

Good point, with a vehicle that sticks out as much as the average MV, and a horn that loud, I would be afraid to hit it for fear of having to deal with the cops... I will stick with mine that are Very Loud, even though I would love to have a setup thats REALLY FREAKING LOUD like that hornblaster.
See above.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the reasons keeping the factory horn is in the event I do get pulled over I can say "that wasn't me, this is what my horn sounds like".
This, Sir, THAT would be your second - and MUCH more foolish MISTAKE !

You: "that wasn't me, this is what my horn sounds like". (your quote from above)

LEO: "Sir, Please step out of the vehicle and open your hood."

LEO: <after looking under hood> "Sir, please step down from the bumper... Now place your hands on the fender and spread your legs." <Grabs Mic on his shoulder> "Dispatch, I need immediate backup and K-9 support, my location, and a HEAVY WRECKER."
"Sir, put your hands behind your back..... You have the right to remain silent....."

Need I say more?

Redneckbmxer24

This, Sir, THAT would be your second - and MUCH more foolish MISTAKE !

You: "that wasn't me, this is what my horn sounds like". (your quote from above)

LEO: "Sir, Please step out of the vehicle and open your hood."

LEO: <after looking under hood> "Sir, please step down from the bumper... Now place your hands on the fender and spread your legs." <Grabs Mic on his shoulder> "Dispatch, I need immediate backup and K-9 support, my location, and a HEAVY WRECKER."
"Sir, put your hands behind your back..... You have the right to remain silent....."

Need I say more?
I don't know how many times you've been pulled over but it usually doesn't go like that. They have to have probable cause to open your hood and that wouldn't give them probable cause. If they did open the hood all they will see is the factory horn. The train horns will be very well hidden and what do you think a K9 is going to do? Sniff them out? lol

I have a 700hp mustang that is extremely loud even compared to the deuce and I've had no problem convincing police the exhaust it came that way. Do you really think they are going to see anything besides the factory horn? NO. In the rare occasion I might get pulled over it won't go any farther than blowing the factory horn. Even if they dpn't believe me they would write me the non moving violation equipment ticket and let me argue with a judge. They aren't going to impound your vehicle and waste a hour of their time and tie up a lane of traffic and wait for a big wrecker to come over a BS equipment violation that isn't a safety issue. Cops around here have better stuff to do.

GoinNutts

Horns

Hey LexLuther I want to return the 2 Bendix horns I baught from you for one of these. These are probably pick up only no shipping??

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaQTNjQUi_o&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/media]