• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud horns

GoinNutts

Hey I could mount this under my canvas bed cover and start a DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP SERVICE. What would someone pay for a 3 am wakeup call for that @*$#^ neighbor
:cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

I have a real train horn valve on my train horns so i can control the volume of them. I use the horns in parades and have no complants. As long as you pull the lever gently the horns are not that loud but if you did pull it all the way I am sure ther would be a problem. I still have my stock horns for normal use.

Attachments

lexluther

Hey I could mount this under my canvas bed cover and start a DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP SERVICE. What would someone pay for a 3 am wakeup call for that @*$#^ neighbor
:cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:
I thought of mounting one on my front porch and wiring it to the doorbell, so that when the kids come to "doorbell ditch" they get a nice surprise, and the neighbors will hear and help me find the little darlings....

lexluther

I wish...his horn was probably $400 or more (unless you have a good connection) mine are just $40. I will say though, its guys like him who inspired me to get the ones I have, but I cant justify the extra $360 for the big horn. Plus, I have a hard enough time not going for every surprise blast possible for pedestrians and animals as it is, and I figure I wont get in to trouble as easily with the horns I have. If I had that rig, right at head level, I would scare somebody so bad they would throw me in the klink.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a real train horn valve on my train horns so i can control the volume of them. I use the horns in parades and have no complants. As long as you pull the lever gently the horns are not that loud but if you did pull it all the way I am sure ther would be a problem. I still have my stock horns for normal use.
You give me horn envy[thumbzup]

Oldfart

That link that you posted WARNS that it's not to be used near pedestrians, 100 feet, etc.....

Hence, I certainly HOPE that you DO NOT intend for this to be your PRIMARY Audible Warning Device (horn) on your MV. I would NOT hook it up via your HORN BUTTON on your steering wheel. As a "secondary horn" or a "fun-toy" kind of addition, you might be better configured, legal and NOT give MV's a BAD NAME in your community. IMHO 2cents

My Newell motor home has a nice set of semi-truck style horns. Loudish, but there is a rocker switch to move the horn button to a "city" horn. The difference is kind of like going from a nice set of old Cadillac horns to an old VW bug horn. ~~~ I notice lots of requests from the crowds when we parade the old military iron for horn honking and the louder the better.

ApopkaFL

Banned

This guy is on the right track. The sound of your horn is the vaule that allows the air to flow through them. With this vaule he has he can control the pitch of his horns. Most kits you buy today has a 12v solenoid only allows the horns to sound one pitch. With the Vaule you can control the pitch and get a better sound with your horns.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Yes but they are more money, and more work to install than a selonoid...

I’m going to use a semi hand vavle for the trailer brakes for mine. Mount it right on steering Colum just like it’s on the semis. You can control how much air flows to your horns with it.

Last edited:

jollyroger

I am subscribed.

Best thread I have seen in a long time.

Seems in place of finding the awesome train type valve maybe one could use a standard ball valve. And I'm thinkin' prototypes in PVC, final build in metal. But maybe I can get some lumber from sch 80 PVC.......HMMMM

I have always loved the train horns. For my first 5 years of life we lived a couple blocks from a switching yard that had a main line running through it. They off loaded the new cars there. Even when we moved 15 blocks away I could still hear the horns at night.........

I have to tell this story: My most memorable and favorite air horn story happened on the Queen Mary. One can walk all over the ship and up on the bridge. It's a great experience if you have never been there. So they warn everyone that the horns sound at 1200 hrs. I kept checkin' my watch to make sure we did not get blown off the bridge. No problem. It's only 1100 hrs. We have an hour before........CLICK.........ttttchWWWWAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My watch was still on mountain time. Darn near knocked the stool out of all of us. And there was this nice East Indian couple that was up there looking at stuff.......I think the lady pee'd her self. After we all peered out from whatever cover we could find and gathered ourselves for a moment we all had a huge laugh about it. It was awesome........And I would do it all over again.[thumbzup]

The horns are nathan k5hl's. they have a differit sound then most horns you will hear on trains it a little deeper tone. with the valve you can play the horns by pulling the handel slowly the bells will come up 1 at a time till there all on and then it a volume control. The valve can be found on ebay for $50.00 to$150.00 The horns are great for tourist season with people who are on vacation and forget how to drive. IT will wake them up quick. Mike

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am subscribed.

Best thread I have seen in a long time.

Seems in place of finding the awesome train type valve maybe one could use a standard ball valve. And I'm thinkin' prototypes in PVC, final build in metal. But maybe I can get some lumber from sch 80 PVC.......HMMMM

I have always loved the train horns. For my first 5 years of life we lived a couple blocks from a switching yard that had a main line running through it. They off loaded the new cars there. Even when we moved 15 blocks away I could still hear the horns at night.........

I have to tell this story: My most memorable and favorite air horn story happened on the Queen Mary. One can walk all over the ship and up on the bridge. It's a great experience if you have never been there. So they warn everyone that the horns sound at 1200 hrs. I kept checkin' my watch to make sure we did not get blown off the bridge. No problem. It's only 1100 hrs. We have an hour before........CLICK.........ttttchWWWWAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My watch was still on mountain time. Darn near knocked the stool out of all of us. And there was this nice East Indian couple that was up there looking at stuff.......I think the lady pee'd her self. After we all peered out from whatever cover we could find and gathered ourselves for a moment we all had a huge laugh about it. It was awesome........And I would do it all over again.[thumbzup]

Same thing happened to my son on the QM when he was about 4 or 5. I let him run around on the forecastle deck and it was nearing 3PM. About 5 min before I said let's go. No, he wanted to play some more...I said OK. Sure enough 3PM on the dot I heard the click of the valve solenoid opening and the rest was pure unadulterated, low, throaty, shake your bones noise. It was hysterical when he didn't know which way to run. I swear he ran in five different directions. Afterward he laughed his little butt off.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a set of cheapo train horns on an old school bus. They were darn loud, and are going in one of my trucks at some point.

Probably not what you are supposed to do, but blowing the horn as someone crosses the train tracks in front of you gets some good reactions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks