• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana - State Flagging Existing Titles, and Registering New Vehicles as Off-Road

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I’ve talked to other peoppe at last two car shows . MoSt people don’t care till it affects them . This is what I been runing into . They don’t agree with this at all but that’s about it . I try to get everyone to call the senators office but only a few have .and yes other owners of mil vehicles that are not affected yet are laying low .
Get their vehicles included, they'll change their tune. If its good to get some old vehicles off the road, its good to get them all off the road.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is very likely that they were only concerned with HMMWV in the beginning. The hornets nest will only take so much poking before the swarm emerges.
Or ignoring what is before our (collective) faces will result in outcomes none of us want. My state senator Randy Head will NOT return my messages on the subject....usually not a good sign.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or ignoring what is before our (collective) faces will result in outcomes none of us want. My state senator Randy Head will NOT return my messages on the subject....usually not a good sign.
That could have something to do with AMGeneral being based in South Bend and they don't want them on the road .

undysworld

Get their vehicles included, they'll change their tune. If its good to get some old vehicles off the road, its good to get them all off the road.
Exactly right!

The same issue that affects milvehs (lack of certification label showing FMVSS-compliance), affects all vehicles older than 1969, as none of them have the label.
Same goes for non-conforming VIN, no vehicle older than 1980 has a 17-digit VIN.

These people are your key to political power. Owners of milvehs are a small group. Owners of all old vehicles are a HUGE group. That's where your political strength comes from.

Why do you think your DMV only goes after one small group of owners at a time?? A small group cannot muster the political clout to fight it. Then, when DMV sets a precedent of tossing a small group of these scary old vehicles off the road, they have an easier time going after the others.

Consolidate your support by enlisting non-milveh owners in the effort.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would a manufacturer not want their vehicles deemed road worthy? I'm 40 miles from AM General and I have never heard that position taken....they take pride in making safe and effective vehicles. Remember the old jeeps with rollover problems? Tell me one design flaw that is comparable to that on a HMMWV.

I'm beginning to believe a class action (federal) lawsuit should be filed to prevent any further sales of any and all military vehicles be suspended until a cogent law is passed, perhaps requiring ratification in each state, that settles this issue once and for all.

Selling them out at retail price and THEN restricting their use is FRAUD. Allowing states to do it may have the appearance of being kosher....but it is not.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why would a manufacturer not want their vehicles deemed road worthy? I'm 40 miles from AM General and I have never heard that position taken....they take pride in making safe and effective vehicles. Remember the old jeeps with rollover problems? Tell me one design flaw that is comparable to that on a HMMWV.

I'm beginning to believe a class action (federal) lawsuit should be filed to prevent any further sales of any and all military vehicles be suspended until a cogent law is passed, perhaps requiring ratification in each state, that settles this issue once and for all.

Selling them out at retail price and THEN restricting their use is FRAUD. Allowing states to do it may have the appearance of being kosher....but it is not.
It is pretty well documented that AM General views their vehicles as something they sell to the government and they wish them not to be in private hands. Try calling them about anything, regardless of how trivial it is and telling them you're a civilian owner of anything they've built at any time and see what reaction you get.

Since I don't know their motives and have to assume, I'd say they see road use by civilians as an opportunity for lawsuits and PR issues. Some doofus buys a 1993 M35A3 and drives around on 25 year old tires, front tire explodes, trucks hits a school van and kills a bunch of kids. You think AMG isn't going to get sued?

If I was AMG, that's sort of how I'd view this. Sure, you shouldn't drive around on 25 year old tires but AMG doesn't have any control over that. Sure, the lawsuit will be dismissed as frivolous, but they'll still have to spend the money on getting it thrown out and the PR issue will still be there.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You would have to take up why with AMGeneral . But here is their stance on it.
It also doesn't seem like change that stance since.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is pretty well documented that AM General views their vehicles as something they sell to the government and they wish them not to be in private hands. Try calling them about anything, regardless of how trivial it is and telling them you're a civilian owner of anything they've built at any time and see what reaction you get.

Since I don't know their motives and have to assume, I'd say they see road use by civilians as an opportunity for lawsuits and PR issues. Some doofus buys a 1993 M35A3 and drives around on 25 year old tires, front tire explodes, trucks hits a school van and kills a bunch of kids. You think AMG isn't going to get sued?

If I was AMG, that's sort of how I'd view this. Sure, you shouldn't drive around on 25 year old tires but AMG doesn't have any control over that. Sure, the lawsuit will be dismissed as frivolous, but they'll still have to spend the money on getting it thrown out and the PR issue will still be there.
Yes, seen the letter before. I noted it is in 2000 and it certainly does not take into account that the federal government has decided to sell them at retail prices to the open public....and has already done it now.

Then the issue is that it is model specific and these laws seem to be significant overreach, probably by the same people that are scared of guns.

Maybe you have money to throw into a dead end hobby....I need my vehicles useable and holding their value.

My suggestion is that all HMMWV's be "assembled" vehicles that have to meet the current safety requirements for that class.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, seen the letter before. I noted it is in 2000 and it certainly does not take into account that the federal government has decided to sell them at retail prices to the open public....and has already done it now.

Then the issue is that it is model specific and these laws seem to be significant overreach, probably by the same people that are scared of guns.

Maybe you have money to throw into a dead end hobby....I need my vehicles useable and holding their value.

My suggestion is that all HMMWV's be "assembled" vehicles that have to meet the current safety requirements for that class.
Well you have the option of running in the next election and work to change your states laws to your liking.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you have the option of running in the next election and work to change your states laws to your liking.
I found out that one must see and condone, not throw a monkey wrench into the gears of corruption, to pass the gatekeeper.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Regarding the federal government's decision to sell HMMWVs, many (most) of those same trucks were sold with off-road use only stipulations.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding the federal government's decision to sell HMMWVs, many (most) of those same trucks were sold with off-road use only stipulations.
Yep, that's why I didn't buy any. Lots of people saw that and ignored it....I don't defend them except to say there should be a path to road use through "assembled", since half of the sales are parts...few complete units.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that's why I didn't buy any. Lots of people saw that and ignored it....I don't defend them except to say there should be a path to road use through "assembled", since half of the sales are parts...few complete units.
I agree with you on everything you said. I, too, have wanted one, but resisted the urge because of the off-road use only thing. I also agree that there should be a path to being able to title the HMMWVs for on-road use. I actually don't see why they wouldn't be able to tag them legally. The FMVSS sticker thing could be used as an obstacle, but the Wisconsin court ruling basically nullified that.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were limited to HMMWV I wouldn't get involved. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lousiana HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehichles

Louisiana State Residents please read attachment and React accordingly. Now it is the time to make your voice known and your actions into emails and phone calls.

Please be aware of the following proposed senate Bill # 549 by Senator Hewitt who is the vice chairman of the Louisiana Standing Committee of Transportation, Highways and Public Works.

This is a long bill and covers many areas. Some of it is unfortunately restrictive in prohibiting most interstate travel, mileage and allowed usage.

Please read and LA residents please contact the following senators on the committee for you input. Senator Sharon Hewitt is the author. Make sure she is number one on your list and copy all other members. Make sure you give your name and address so they know you are State of LA residents!
http://senate.la.gov/Transportation/Assignments.asp

It also creates a specialty plate and covers all Military Tactical Vehicles legality for registration with equipment requirements.

It looks like a cut n paste to me from other states with mileage and usage restrictions and not much original language.

PLEASE ACT NOW IF YOU LIVE IN LOUISIANA

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the reply from my State Senator Rand Head;

"Thank you for following up with Senator Head’s Office regarding your concerns with military vehicles. Senator Head contacted the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicle to request information on the current regulations and restrictions you were referring to in your previous email."
"The BMV says that a national association of military vehicle owners and enthusiasts, , is currently researching and forming recommendations for states to implement that would solve the precise issue you are writing about. Senator Head is going to wait on the Association to make a recommendation to the General Assembly regarding your inquiry. The State cannot give a blanket approval for all former military vehicles to use the roads without regard to existing weight and safety restrictions. Senator Head would like to give the Association time to make its recommendations on best practices before he decides to draft legislation."

How many of you as MV owners are represented by "the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration". Do we have any representation at all with them?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the reply from my State Senator Rand Head;

"Thank you for following up with Senator Head’s Office regarding your concerns with military vehicles. Senator Head contacted the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicle to request information on the current regulations and restrictions you were referring to in your previous email."
"The BMV says that a national association of military vehicle owners and enthusiasts, , is currently researching and forming recommendations for states to implement that would solve the precise issue you are writing about. Senator Head is going to wait on the Association to make a recommendation to the General Assembly regarding your inquiry. The State cannot give a blanket approval for all former military vehicles to use the roads without regard to existing weight and safety restrictions. Senator Head would like to give the Association time to make its recommendations on best practices before he decides to draft legislation."

How many of you as MV owners are represented by "the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration". Do we have any representation at all with them?
I think he may be referring to the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA)...national organization representing military vehicle owners and enthusiasts.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he may be referring to the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA)...national organization representing military vehicle owners and enthusiasts.
I don't think so, since they have a website (www.aamva.org/aamva-policy-positions/) and are a national association. Maybe MVPA is working with them, but we should know that for sure, not assume it.

Maybe when you meet, Al, ask your representatives if AAMVA or MVPA is involved?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks