• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana - State Flagging Existing Titles, and Registering New Vehicles as Off-Road

Al Capone

I am mvpa member and in direct contact with mvpa Vice President about this . And he is backing our fight and decisions with information and support .

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am mvpa member and in direct contact with mvpa Vice President about this . And he is backing our fight and decisions with information and support .
Since my BMV is seeking guidance and policy from AAMVA, I would like to know if MVPA is participating in their development of policy. Please ask your MVPA contact if they are.

frodobaggins

I have spoken with another member who is also working on this. He hasn't made any posts that I can see so I'm not going to drop his name.
I will say he is well respected in the MV community. Maybe he will chime in soon.

Hopefully coming at this from all angles will prove fruitful.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Three daze passing.....................
So Do We all need one of those "get out of jail letters"
to present when someone wants to take the Deuce away?

Last edited:

Al Capone

I’m not sure what all is going on on this post . I see lot of guys from other states asking questions and thought this post was about la problems . It’s very hard for me to work deal with training at work and keep up with our ordeal here in la and posts on here . And shake the trees to get help and support on this . So if your asking questions to me please be more precise on what your asking . Thanks

saddamsnightmare

April 27th, 2019.

For the OP, you might want to examine how Illinois handled the FMV situation with their legislation regarding Old Military Vehicles.....

Good luck in any case.

Kyle F. McGrogan

Al Capone

We in Louisiana are all done with this . Bill passed forcing omv to title ex military wheeled vehicles . This all went into effect mid last year with a new plate being made just for them . No restrictions except you have to be 21 or older . Sign and notarize a form saying you will not let anyone under 21 drive it and that you will
Maintain minimum reguired safety equipment

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone post a picture of the new plate for military vehicles? I looked on LA DMV website and can't find any info. All I can find is the info about using VIN painted on hood as your number.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone post a picture of the new plate for military vehicles? I looked on LA DMV website and can't find any info. All I can find is the info about using VIN painted on hood as your number.
Old thread, but Mike, the painted numbers ARE the plate. According to the law, no plate shall be issued. There is a thread called "For La MV owners" (I think) that i started in 08 that has been updated with current law.

Good luck!

Ken

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @juanprado. Next week I should have my M37 registered and titled as an ex military vehicle using the "in lieu of" hood numbers.

I will write up the details once I get it completed. BTW, it has not been easy or fun!!!!!!!

Reactions: 98G

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @juanprado. Next week I should have my M37 registered and titled as an ex military vehicle using the "in lieu of" hood numbers.

I will write up the details once I get it completed. BTW, it has not been easy or fun!!!!!!!
Please do as I am curious. Ken's m923 is the last La member here that had posted on his vin stencils.

Al Capone

If I had to make a guess , I bet the special plates division might not allow the vin stencil on hood thing anymore . They make more $ with the ex military plates .

Al Capone

Supermike . Do you have a actual title on this truck already ? Years ago in old trucks like that I would do the process of getting a title using the state’s antique title process when you don’t have a title . But they won’t let that anymore with ex military vehicles .

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to make a guess , I bet the special plates division might not allow the vin stencil on hood thing anymore . They make more $ with the ex military plates .
As of 2 weeks ago they are still allowing it with no mention of having to have a physical plate.

Supermike . Do you have a actual title on this truck already ? Years ago in old trucks like that I would do the process of getting a title using the state’s antique title process when you don’t have a title . But they won’t let that anymore with ex military vehicles .
That has been the biggest part of this ordeal. The "truck" does have a title but that is a very integral part of the story that I will explain next week. (Fingers crossed!!!!!!)

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link detailing my efforts from originally getting the truck to title/registration

Al Capone

Here is a link detailing my efforts from originally getting the truck to title/registration

man you went thru a lot of crazy work with that . For future endeavors ,depending on what vehicle your doing la has a way to get a title on antique vehicles with just a bill of sale . They just don’t tell you . And now they don’t want to do ex military vehicles on this policy . But a old m37 vehicle might have passed . I did it on a gamma goat years ago . Also for future info the date of vermount will title vehicles 15 yrs or older with bill of sale and vin inspection thru the mail . Then you can turn that registration they issue for older vehicles into a title here. Have done this way before also

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what individuals can do for themselves in any state pulling this crap is get on the horn to your elected reps, including governor, and follow up with letters to them.. It is best to flood them with calls and letters, or resubmit copies of your initial letters if no personal response. Do not accept their generic form letter coming from some aide.. Unfortunately these days we have to resort to persistence... If plenty of people do this it gets their attention. One letter and one phone call per person does not work anymore .. The problem is unelected bureaucrats have hardly any oversight anymore and pretty much do whatever they can dream up.. We have to remember our state legislators are their boss and final stage of oversight. Petitions and lawsuits that everyone can contribute to and sign on to are also a thorn in their side, especially if it comes with media attention.. Too many of these unelected bureaucrats have no evidence of a problem so they arbitrarily dream up a problem or just plain have a prejudice for or against something (military vehicles and arms in general in the hands of civilians is a scary idea to many of them) , thus they write themselves a new regulation to benefit an agenda.. You don't have to take this crap and do nothing about it.. They need to know they can lose their job the minute they go too far .. When is too far? The line has to be drawn somewhere, or those children are gonna keep pushing for more.. How do I know this? .. I spent two terms (4 years) in an elected position more than 20 years ago.. Believe me when I say I was disgusted with what goes on, on the inside

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks