• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana to NC and back in the Deuce

Jeepsinker

Oh the timing of things.... I just got a phone call from a shipping company wanting to schedule pickup for the 21 trucks and ten trailers I've been holding here for almost a year. Looks like I may have to move my departure date. I've been waiting for these things to leave for a long time now.

Driving from AL to NC in a deuce is crazy. Flat towing a deuce from NC to AL is the definition of insanity :)

Let me know if your dad wants that alternator, and also let me know what day you plan to be there, as if it is not Monday I may wait till Tuesday before I come down.

Jeepsinker

Doesn't look like I'm going to make Monday. Dad is going to go with one of the smaller alternators I think. Also, did fuzzy get with you on his cut gun rings? I'm going to bring them back for him. I get over around his place all the time. I want four of your winch shear pins too, and one of those 24v squirrel cage type fan setups.

Jeepsinker

Ok all, I am beat for today but have the truck back in good working order and everything loaded. Had to ditch the plan of bringing an extra engine and trans... Not enough room for it and everything else so I just have to cross my fingers on this one. I will put the final touches on my loadout and fuel up in the morning, then head out.

Did I mention you are NUTS? A 1,100 mile trip ONE WAY in a deuce is NUTS. I thought I was crazy for flat-towing a 5-ton tractor from Portsmouth, VA to Winston-Salem, apparently I don't even register on the crazy scale...

Hopefully see you Tuesday, don't call me if anything breaks cause I will be HUNDREDS of miles away! Haha, good luck on the trip!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know if you need any assistance vicinity of Fayetteville. We have a few members around here and can get the assets to assist if there are issues.

Jeepsinker

Yep and just stopped to fuel up both my stomach and the truck. I've only burned 3/4 tank, maybe less and I'm right on the Mississippi border. Going through Orleans was crazy.

ke5eua

Yep and just stopped to fuel up both my stomach and the truck. I've only burned 3/4 tank, maybe less and I'm right on the Mississippi border. Going through Orleans was crazy.
If you would have gone right on 61 it would have taken you north to Natchez, MS. I never go through New Orleans if I don't have to, take 12 through Hammond instead. I'm guessing you needed to go through as no sane person would take a deuce through that, lol

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was driving thru Zachary around 1800 hrs today, and a Deuce turned out in front of me and pulled into a gas station. Could it be? Yes it was JS who pulled over to call Ke5sua. I stopped to say Hi and wish him good luck on his journey.

I've been driving my 5-tons 275 to 550 miles a week, and my back and butt suffer for it. I just don't want to think about a Deuce springer seat for that long a trip.

Jeepsinker

Yep getting oil on the clutch. Going to have to take the inspection plate off and leave it off I guess. How nice of my rear main to start really leaking when I need it to act right.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read that regularly flushing the bellhousing and clutch with brake clean will allow you to limp along. Make sure the transmission is one knuckle below the fill hole as well.