• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana - Veteran's Day Parade in Walker

zguinness

Louisiana - Veteran's Day Parade in Walker (NOV 9TH)

I see there are quite a few guys from LA here. I'm part of the Livingston Parish Veteran's Association and every year we put on a Veteran's Day parade in Walker. I did a search of the forum and see that some of you guys participated last year.

Well, it's coming up again on November 9th. If any of you would like to participate this year let me know. I know we will need some rides for the elderly vets and of course as many military vehicles as possible.

This event will take place at Walker High School in Walker, LA. General Russel Honore' will be our guest speaker this year. I believe the CO of the USS Louisiana (SSBN) and a couple of guys from the crew will be flying in as well.

10 am - Ceremony begins at Walker High gym
11 am - food served
1 pm - parade begins

Here is the link to the entry form:

http://www.lpvaweb.org/LPVAdocuments...orm%202013.pdf

The form says to send your info to Robert but I would prefer it if you guys send me the completed form. Robert will be swamped by a million things and I don't want to see the MV guys get put on the back burner. I'll be working with the parade committee and can try to make sure no one gets overlooked.

My email is: bayouzach@bellsouth.net
Cell: 225-454-4054
Fax: 225-567-5296

EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A VEHICLE AND YOU WOULD LIKE TO RIDE, LET ME KNOW. THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF EXTRA SEATS FOR RIDERS.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be glad to do it again. Some of us last year were empty as the word did not get back to the organizers or vets that we would love to have vets ride. :)

zguinness

Well last year I didn't have my ride. Now I'm on both sides of the fence... here and the LPVA.

I know one of the concerns was the older vets not being able to get into the higher up vehicles. I think most of them rode in smaller cars. But if we can figure something out like some portable steps or something then I'm sure we can get some of those guys riding in the MVs.

I can work directly with the parade coordinator and the LPVA president to try and get you guys more "involved" if you want. I'm sure most of those old vets would rather ride in a deuce or a 5 ton than some dumb convertible.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zach?

Thanks for coordinating and keep us in the loop. I know most of the guys last year had boarding ladders with us and we will gladly give a "hand" up if that helps.

If you can get access to a rolling step ladder like they use at home depot/ lowes / other big box stores for a few hours of community service? Lowes and home depot managers are very family/community service friendly?

I do not have contacts in your area though.

zguinness

A rolling step ladder is exactly what I had in mind. I'll ask around and see what I can come up with.

Our goal is to make this parade bigger and better each year. Obviously we would like more military vehicles than regular cars and trucks.

One thing about this parade is that it's absolutely FREE. There are no entry fees or anything like that. I'm sure the trade-off would be the same as previous years. We have free food for the veterans and they will usually let people that volunteer their military vehicles eat for free as well.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, I'd be happy to hear them. If I can't answer them I'll make sure I bring it to the LPVA to get the right answer. I'd like to see as many of you guys come out and support this as I can get.

Jeepsinker

I would love to participate! Will let you know how everything goes on my end. I am very busy as I own my own business, but will certainly do my best to make time for this event. I value our veterans immensely.

zguinness

Just got back from a meeting and we would definitely like to get some more military vehicles in this parade. If any of you local guys want to join us, please let me know. Last year we ended up having many more veterans show up than expected and we were running around last minute trying to get them on floats. I'm hoping that if any of you guys show up that we will have plenty of vets looking to ride.

There are still a few more weeks before this parade but I'm going to have to start getting numbers pretty soon. If anyone would like to ask questions or discuss this off the board, you can PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

I also have plans on either finding a step ladder or building one if I have to.

Regards,
Zach

zguinness

zguinness

I've talked to Juan and I believe he's in but we're still looking for anyone else that would like to participate. If you've got an MV or a float you'd like to enter, please get in touch with me.

I know we've got at least 3 veteran's homes coming in with some elderly vets that will need a ride.

Only about 3 more weeks!

zguinness

Only 1 week to go.

The event will take place at Walker High School in Walker, LA. The ceremony will begin at 1000 in the gym. There will be food served and the parade will roll at 1300.

It looks like we will have the veteran's homes from Reserve and Jackson coming in again this year (there should be quite a few WWII vets in attendance).

General Russel Honore' will be the guest speaker.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to report that one battery & one alternator later, I am now ready to roll. I will fill out the form and send in today! :)

I had not registered earlier because I was unsure of the electrical gremelins I was facing........ :-(

zguinness

Sounds good man! I'm glad you posted in here b/c I just remembered I need to load up that GPS bracket for you. I took some pictures of how it was mounted also.

Oh, and we made a set of steps to get the older guys up in the back of the trucks.

SFC0MIRES

I just bought my M35A2 Saturday morning. I'm one of the LA Army National Guard Recruiters in the Livingston Parish area. SSG Turk should have turned in our entry form today, if not he will this week. BUT, we will be there Saturday morning.

zguinness

Tomorrow is the big day! It looks like we should have some great weather and cool temps.

It's not too late to join us. If anyone decides last minute that they want to join in, just give me a call and let me know you're on the way. As long as you get there before 10-11am I can get you in the parade.

If you are a veteran or know any veterans in the area that would like to ride in the parade let me know. There will be plenty of Jeeps and floats and MVs available with open seats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks