• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low air pressure

dmetalmiki

Anyone have a tip for trouble shooting and or adjusting low air pressure? the valve on the bulkhead when adjusted (screwed in) makes no difference, and the maximum pressure reads 65 P.S.I. The air power steering works fine , but uses air up too quickly now. additionaly we note that it takes quite a while to attain pressure.

DieselBob

Does the pressure always build up steadily to 65 and than just hold there. If I remember correctly you need to turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise to increase pressure.

sandcobra164

If the compressor is cycling, you have a bad air governor. The item you're trying to adjust on the firewall. I've found good ones new for under 20 bucks. It's a common part and will hopefully get your truck back where it needs to be!!!

dmetalmiki

Yes it allways builds up to 65 psi. and holds steady. We have been screwing the smaller of the nuts IN , (unlocked the Large 1 1/16 nut and screwd in the smaller one.)and no change. is this not the correct way to Increase the output pressure?. Thanks for responding. <I been thro' all the tms I have but can not find the adjstment feature for air system pressure.>

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, when I was recently troubleshooting my Deuce's air system, the TM said that to increase the air pressure the small screw should be adjusted outwards. But I also recall the TM saying that for pressures as low as yours, to replace the air governor. I bought mine new at NAPA for $11. I just saw some on eBay for around $20. Most likely the O-ring in your governor air piston needs replacing, and/or the corrosion and gunk have built up inside to the point where the piston cannot move to adjust air pressure anymore. It's easier to replace the whole thing, as I haven't found any documentation on how to disassemble/reassemble it.

While you're at it, you might want to remove the large hex-head bolt on top of your air compressor and clean out the vent for the unloader/governor. I used a 1-1/16" open-end wrench to remove it, underneath you'll find a machined port for a vertical valve with an O-ring & a spring. I inspected & lubed mine with silicone grease, cleaned out a bunch of gunk buildup, and cleaned the small port for the unloader/governor air line with a pipe cleaner. My compressor works even better now.

And don't forget to have a good look at your compressor's intake as well; the reeds in the air cleaner often get clogged and need cleaning/replacement. I dumped mine, installed a 1/2" pipe nipple, and ran 3/4" hose to a tapped 1/2" pipe nipple on the air cleaner for dry, clean, filtered air for my MF compressor.

peashooter

My airomatic drag link was sticking so it would leak air once it reached about 60 psi or whatever the safety shutoff valve I set for. You could hear it leaking though. I assume you haven't heard any leaks though?

dmetalmiki

OK. so here's how I cured the problem. Cleaned the power steering regulater valve. Then removed all pipes to the compressor system and cleaned taped and re-fitted them. Removed and serviced the compressor regulator. Also the air intake to the compressor. Found and cured a mirad of small air leaks on variouse pipes in the air system. Finaly adjusted the regulator with the engine running. Result. = 100 psi. and very slow leak down. and the air power steering works exellent now. ( as the steering on the M45 (fire truck is normally a bitch with 12 tons of water on board!))

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! Glad you were able to resolve a lot of little issues that added up to a large headache! Thanks for sharing, glad you didn't have to spend a lot of money on parts-changing.