• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low-boy semi trailer from Hooks TX to Albany NY

L999here

...an M172A1,,,?

Did you win an M172A1...? The 25-ton low boy...? Did your EUC come back approved already....? Won't bore you with a story,but I also won one of these and had to travel over 900 miles to VA to pick it up. You are going to need a semi to haul it around anyway...may as well start looking for one now. Look in the 'trailers' forum for my tale of how I got mine home. Good luck...

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hooks has only sold M870's, M871's and a handful of M872's. There a few wrecker companies in the area that will pull your trailer off RRAD. You are looking at a second small fortune to get it carried the rest of the way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on the M870 trailer, is the drop gooseneck cable or hyd ????????, eather way, a perfect fit for the 819

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You should look for a "Power Only Unit" listing under trucking companies...they will pull it to you but as stated above it won't be cheap
unless you luck out and find someone bob tailing your way that would be willing to pick it up and take it to you.

Chief_919

on the M870 trailer, is the drop gooseneck cable or hyd ????????, eather way, a perfect fit for the 819
The gooseneck is actually lowered by the winch on the back of the M916 or M920. No winch on the back of your truck= no lowering the gooseneck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
However you get it delivered, I'm afraid it won't be cheap.
I would rather have it hauled so I wouldn't have to worry about tires, lights, bearings etc.
And if it IS oversize....call the bank for a loan to pay for permits...2cents

Chief_919

Just a side note.....

Does anyone (other than me) research the recovery details and costs BEFORE bidding:?:

Or, am I an outcast amongst the "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-gang" :?::?:

:doh:aua:deadhorse:
Not just you. I always make sure I know the cost of recovery if I can't do it myself, and that I have someone to do it.

The ony way to bid smart is factor in the bid, premium, tax, recovery costs, and preview costs- add all that and you have your real, to the door purchase price.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Including your personal time...heck...I think my time is worth SOMETHING!!!....Well...not much...but you get the picture:beer:

I've pretty much decided not to buy anything over 200 miles from me...and we can transport almost anything. OK...except the fuel tanker at Fort Knox...and...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if i had the money for a M870, id also have the money for a 900 hyd. front winch to fit in the rear frame of the 819, or hyd. the gooseneck, or use the crane to set/unset the gooseneck and a set of hyd. landing legs to raise/lower, no matter what id figure a way to get it hooked,
A M819/M870 conbo would Awesome

Last edited:

glenn

All - thanks for yout thoughts. We got an M871. We thought we had transport lined up, but the EUC too sooooo longggg to come through that we lost the opportunity. It is currently back on track, but there is plenty of time for things to go wrong, so I will post a summary once it makes it here. Things do get interesting in life, don't they?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it would take forever, no point getting in a hurry drivining a old, big, heavy MV, if hurry is needed, do the peretbuilt thing, as far as weight, the 819 is 36000+ and the 870 is about 17000 this =53000 and about 60' long, this leaves 27000. would be a slow haul but a lot of photo op time.
I nave the 819 for FUN, the combo would look GREAT and be FUN to have, even if I NEVER used the 870 except as a place to sleep on to get me off the ground at meets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks