• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low hour MEP-803a blue/white smoke at startup

washington

Low hour MEP-803a blue/white smoke at startup. Videos added

I got a MEP-803a last summer with 11 hours on it... It starts quickly runs smooth and has no problem running my house. I have already used it to keep me powered during two outages that lasted a total of about 40 hours without any drama. without doing anything to conserve power it is typically loaded between 50% to sometimes just over 100% without complaints.

I bought a MEP-802a with 7 hours on it to take over at night when I have almost everything off and just want to keep the water warm and the food cold. I was thinking it would keep me from wet stacking the 803 and use less fuel.

after I got the 802 running I noticed that it doesn't smoke like my 803 does during startup. I had taken it for granted that the military may not care if their generators smoke when started and I thought that it was normal but now that i see how much cleaner my 802 runs on a cold start and after watching videos of other 803s starting up I think that mine smokes more than normal until it gets nice and warm.

any ideas why my 803 likes to smoke at startup?

Last edited:

CT-Mike

My 803 smokes a little white/blue at startup, but clears right away after it reaches operating temps.

washington

That is my question... it smokes more than the 802 always but when at operating temp it only smokes when loaded over 80%... is this normal? does it need more break in since it is still a 50 hour machine? do i need to adjust it? the smoke is not really a bother but I want this machine to last a long time and I want to make sure i am doing all i can to take care of it.

dangier

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it. May just be a sticky rings from sitting. Needs to run loaded and get everything warm. May reduce smoking or may not. My 003's still smoke blue/white for 3 to 5 minutes or so until everything gets up to temperature. My operational 002 stops smoking in 10 to 20 seconds from starting. I run them all loaded for 45 minutes to an hour monthly. YMMV

Korgoth1

If it smokes alot when loaded above 80%, I might pull injectors and check timing(sometimes, apparently, the shim packs get swapped/doubled up and that of course screws up the timing)

But as stated, diesels gonna smoke.

washington

Thanks for the help. sounds like it may not be optimal but perhaps not anything to worry too much about. perhaps some day I will fiddle with the injectors and see if I can make an improvement. I have never really worked on a diesel before so I could just as easily make things worse.

For now I will just make sure that it gets a good monthly workout and watch it to see if it gets better or worse.

perhaps I will take a photo or video sometime soon and post it.

MtnSnow

I had run the generator the night before so this is a cold start after running at temp and full load for about an hour the night before... so is this normal?
Yes that is pretty normal for a cold start. Your next vid shows it totally cleaned up when the engine was up to temp and carrying a load so I wouldn't be concerned

washington

Yes that is pretty normal for a cold start. Your next vid shows it totally cleaned up when the engine was up to temp and carrying a load so I wouldn't be concerned
Thanks MtnSnow, I Have another MEP-803A on a trailer with 1342 hours on it that I have at the office (people are starting to say I am addicted to military generators generators)

I started that one up today for the first time since summer and it hardly smokes at all... It also runs a bit smother than the one I have at home. I wonder if the difference is that it is fully broken in or if they just vary from unit to unit?

regardless thanks everyone for your help!

jamawieb

Most of the 802a and 803a's I deal with do not smoke that much. I currently have a 802a that I'm working on, that smokes lightly at start-up and does not run as smooth as others I've bought. It doesn't have a smooth sound, sounds like a small miss, so I'm going to change out the injectors next weekend and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks