• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Oil Pressure

Deucenut

Hi all,

The oil pressure gauge on my new to me M35A2 is showing 30 PSI when cold and nill when hot at about any RPM. I have checked the oil level, am trying to get the sending unit out so I can check it, and have removed the oil pressure regulator and all looks good there. That is where the TM help seems to stop.

The truck came from GL and I am still working through the bugs with it so I do not have a history of the truck. I know it was overhauled in 89 though.

Is there something else I should be checking or am I in for a bearing job? Any help?

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your oil diluted with fuel? Is your FDC still connected?

Deucenut

I will try a manual gauge but the way it is acting I do not believe it is a gauge issue. The oil is not diluted and the FDC is bypassed. I have no doubt that this is a presure issue caused by some problem within the engine. I recall reading about an issue with the pressure relief valve on the oil pump but have not been able to find the thread again.

Any more ideas?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirm the pressure next.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your sender and gauge are the same pressure range. Mine had a 0-60 sender with a 0-120 gauge. Scared me until I found out.

m35a2cowner

If its new to you, make sure the oil filters are in correctly. If your wondering about the internal parts of the engine (fuel dilute too) send a sample of the oil off for analysis. Its relatively cheap and you will get a good idea of the condition of the motor. When testing (or operating) a mechanical oil pressure guage (not a cheapo) is best.

crazywelder72

Screw in a manual gauge where the sending unit was. This should tell you what you really have for pressure.
toss out the original gauge and sender and get a mechanical gauge. There about $30 i think. I got mine from summit racing.

There are too many variables with what is there now so by replacing it with a mechanical you will know for sure what the psi is. I would do that before i started looking at oil pumps or sending fuel out for analysis.

Deucenut

Here is the latest update. I pulled the oil pressure sending unit and it is for a 120 psi gauge by both part number and resistance readings. I have a 60 psi gauge so that is one problem solved. I have ordered the correct sending unit and will install it and see what it reads.

I should have included in my original post that I changed the oil and filters as soon as I got the truck. The oil is not diluted but, per m35a2cowner's suggestion, I will send a sample of the oil off for analysis when I next change it.

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.

cidrich

Deucenut, My deuce had a 120 psi sender and a 60 psi gauge in it when I got it from Fort Jackson, SC. When hot it had between 5 and 10 psi at idle and 25 to 30 psi going down the road. It scared me like it did you until I figured it out. Put a 60 psi sender in it and I now have 40 psi hot at idle and 60 psi going down the road. I would hook a manual gauge to it and see what you have. I hope it turns out for you like it did for me!

Deucenut

Final report. I installed the 60 PSI sending unit today (thanks Erik) and went for a drive. 55 PSI at cruise and 20 PSI at idle, both hot readings. I am a happy, and relieved, camper.

Thanks all.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great news!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks