• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Range and Reverse

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ball hitches are nonsense, pintle hooks and lunettes rule.

I've seen twice where ball hitches failed, causing a lot of problems.

Military pintle jobs just don't fail.

Besides, it keeps others from wanting to borrow your trailers.

biscuitwhistler37

Ball hitches are nonsense, pintle hooks and lunettes rule.

I've seen twice where ball hitches failed, causing a lot of problems.

Military pintle jobs just don't fail.

Besides, it keeps others from wanting to borrow your trailers.
I agree, but I had the ball hitch trailers long before I had the truck. It's a 20k Curt commercial, not a bad unit 😎

canadacountry

@HDN what you just said sounds like the particular drivetrain in the volkswagen iltis, apparently I've at least once heard about of that it was really part-time 4wd but with how weak the shafts were it was "advised" to only ever use 2wd mode for making tight turns on dry hard surfaces but to leave it in 4wd any other times otherwise

Reactions: HDN

HDN

@HDN what you just said sounds like the particular drivetrain in the volkswagen iltis, apparently I've at least once heard about of that it was really part-time 4wd but with how weak the shafts were it was "advised" to only ever use 2wd mode for making tight turns on dry hard surfaces but to leave it in 4wd any other times otherwise
I've read about Jeeps with the manual transfer case getting the driveline bound-up when driving on pavement with part-time 4WD engaged. That happened to my mom's Grand Cherokee once when she was having trouble making smooth turns going to the office one day. My dad was on the phone with her and instructed her to find an empty parking lot and drive the Jeep in reverse and in an S-pattern to release tension in the driveline, then shift the transfer case to 2WD.

I'm sure the same thing happens with anything with manual transfer cases. I think most of us are probably careful enough driving our trucks to keep that from happening - take it out of 4WD or 6WD or 8WD when you don't need it anymore :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks