• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lower Radiator Hose

tx399999

I got around to working on the coolant system today but I got hung up trying to put the lower radiator hose on. Is there a trick to get it on or is it just a matter of the rubber not being pliable enough in the cold.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which hose are you trying to install? Your old one, and new Napa hose(2 different numbers are listed in the cross reference), or a NOS hose from a MV retailer?

tx399999

I'm trying to put the OD Iron lower hose on. The old one was leaking, so I'm replacing all the hoses, thermostat, and adding a coolant filter. I trimmed a couple of inches off the new hose to match the old one, but I fought with it for about an hour with no luck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They are a pain in the backside. I hook the lower end to the radiator from underneath, snaking my hand up there to wiggle it around onto the radiator.

baxter

Thier is nothing easy about changing the lower hose it I did mine last winter because it was leeking I should have waited till summer you just have to keep working at it.

Vaughn

deuceman51

I put some grease on the inside of the hose, just enough to help lubricate it. Usually that trick helps it slide much easier. As the others said, it is a pain in the you know what, but just keep wiggling it and it will go on.

tx399999

Mine started leaking on me about a week ago, and I've lost about two gallons of coolant since then. I'll be glad when I have it fixed, but I guess i would have been just as glad in a few months.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless it's got abad place in it, you might just have a loose fit. Mine did that last year when it got real cold (after fixing the radiator the previous summer). Turned out I needed to tighten the clamp another 1/4 turn because the copper/brass of the radiator contracted more than the steel of the clamp. Try it before you swap out the hose!

runk

I had to do all my hoses and belts last month, changed out the leaky heater shutoff valves, and added a coolant filter. I ended up pulling off the passenger side light assembly as well as the grill, which really helped access of the lower radiator hose, the heater hookups, and alternator belt tensioning bolts. If you loosen the alternator, and swing it out, that also improves access to the lower hose, but loosening the alternator is its own challenge !

tx399999

I got it on and the system filled. It ended up being less work to just pull the radiator and the hose slid right on. I got all the hoses replaced and the coolant filter installed, so I shouldn't have to mess with the coolant system again anytime soon.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the things you'll find in cold country is after changing a hose it will leak when the weather gets cold. IMHO the only way to keep them from weeping is to re-tichten them on the coldest morning of the winter.
This is so true! I have a Volkswagen TDI and added a coolant heater. It does exactly that. The clamps have to be ape-tight or the hose will not cope with the extreme temperature swings.

Scarecrow1

I have had good luck with using dish detergent on the inside and letting the end of the new hose sit in very hot water before I put the detergent on ....then it slides right on ... no problems at all .....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks