• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lowering a M105A

gumboo

Noob question here.
I searched through all the posts here for any info on lowering a M105A, and don't see any.
So I'll ask...
Can a M105A be lowered to run level with a civi 1/2 ton truck?

I see plenty of post where the hitch is raised or the tounge lowered.
I want to get the bed lowered to a workable position where I can load things in by hand without throwing out my last back disk (jk). And also ride level with a 1/2 ton truck.

Smaller rims/tires, axle/springs, etc.

Thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a spare m105 that I was thinking about doing the same thing to. About the only way to do it is to swap the whole axle out. If not you are going to have to have custom wheels and you may run into brake drum/wheel contact issues.

I came to the conclusion that it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a 3/4 ton trailer or raise the hitch on my truck where it would pull level. I raised the hitch.

kurtkds

especially since the m105 weighs 2440 lbs empty. makes it pretty hard to put much more than 1200 - 1500 lbs in the trailer then pull it behind a 1/2 ton. I did that for a couple of years and it made for some interesting trips. :D

gumboo

Thanks for the info.
Guess I'll raise my hitch.
Mainly going to use it to haul furniture, lumber, etc. to what's left of the fishing camp in Grand Isle. Not going to have anything too heavy to haul, just more room to haul.
Maybe later on I'll get a duce or a dump to pull the trailer.