• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LU-4 winch seals numbers

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have seal numbers for the seals on the worm shaft ? I am in the procress of checking and overhauling my winch and need some seals . The gears and bushings look almost new , very little wear , freed up the declutching shaft , a few gaskets and seals and I should be in good shape . The original seals are very intresting , looks like a lip seal AND a leather wiper all in one . I would like to replace them with double lip seals , should be good to go , bob k:smile:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess what popped up, top of the list - after googling "LU-4 Braden winch seals Steelsoldiers" ....?
See my post #8

G.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vintage Power Wagons has all the seals priced individually and as sets / kits. Their catalog is online or they will send you one for free in the mail. They have pictures of all the seals both online and in the print catalog.

Storm 51

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vintage Power Wagons has all the seals priced individually and as sets / kits. Their catalog is online or they will send you one for free in the mail. They have pictures of all the seals both online and in the print catalog.

Storm 51
Careful what you buy... less then 2 months ago a friend of mine had ordered their complete seal and gasket set, for me to rebuild his winch. All -except the large clutch hsg.-to-drum seal were cheap, single-lip seals! I can get better ones, locally!

That's why I made that chart, with the part numbers for known brands, double-lip seals.

G.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for ALL the info , I did a search under "winch seals" and didn't get anything useful ,o well , I am still learning the system . Yes I would like to use a double lip seal , the single lip is "ok" but double lip is better if I had my choice . The reason I am checking and reasealing the worm shaft is somebody used the old hardened bolt instead of a shear pin and chewed up the end of the shaft , so new shaft , new bearingings ,new seals . Everything else looks new , I will take a ride over to Buffalo Bearing , they should be able to fix me up with some seals and we should be good to go, thanks all ,bob k

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from Buffalo bearing, the correct Timken seal for the worm shaft is a # 471689 , measures 1.000 x 1.752 x 0.250 , as a FYI . That number is the new number for Timken seal 411703 . BK

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New number? Nahh..., who told you that? I bet that was the only one they had.... I know it is much more common!

Just look up the Timken catalog: one is .25", open; the other is .312" wide, encased. That is two different things, and each has its part#.
The original seal is .625". Wish I could find a (modern)seal, at least .50" wide, for that application.

Not saying the narrow one #471689 won't work, but normally a wider seal works better and lasts longer. In this case the bore is deep enough to fit two of the .25s.
In similar cases I have installed dual single-lip seals (the lip normally is a bit wider on those) - putting the inner seal in "correctly" and then the outer one, whith the lip facing outward.

G.

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really wanted the 411703 , just could not find one locally . I wondered about using two seals in place of the original , which is a felt seal and oil seal . I also looked in the Timken catalog , but that was what is listed for that seal number . It is also the type of seal stocked and sold by some MV parts suppliers . I do like your suggestion on the 2 seals , there's plenty of room and I did pickup some extra seals , just put the other one in "backwards" , as they say , like chicken soup , can't hurt ! thanks Bob k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks