• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lube foaming in Transmission

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some help from the Deuce Gurus please...

The lube in my M275's 5-Speed Spicer is foaming. Not just a little, I'm talking some serious froth here. Subsequently, shifting seems to get tougher while driving as the lube gets churned, and then gets easier again when it sits (overnight) and has had some time to settle the bubbles out. Previous owner says it's straight 40w motor oil. The lube level is within spec, about 1/2" below fill-plug level. I don't believe the lube is water-contaminated because it's amber/clear and not milky.

Seems obvious the lube has to be replaced, and I've read that 30w, 40w, or 50w non-detergent motor oil is better than GL-5, but my questions are; have any of you had the same problem? did you figure out what caused the fresh-looking lube to foam? and what brand/grade/weight/type of lube cured it?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

MN

snowtrac nome

a manual trans will want hypoid gear oil like that spirax or your standard 80/90 the gears need the extra sulfur content in the hypoid gear oils. the exception to that rule would be the new transmissions like the nv 4500

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I recommend you use.

View attachment 666204View attachment 666205

Yes you can get "away" with using a straight weight engine oil but that is not the best oil you can use in a manual transmission. Almost all the transmission manufactures recommend you use a "Synthetic 50 weight gear oil" .
Would the 50w synthetic trans lube be a good choice for the Rockwell t-case also? I went ahead and ordered some 50w synthetic trans lube. Trans is, and will be, draining overnight, and will be filled with the new stuff when the "Brown Truck of Happiness" drops it off tomorrow. Would've gone with the Spirax, but the cheapest, smallest quantity I found was a 5 gal bucket @ about $270 with shipping. So, bought 2 gals of the Lucas instead (with free shipping from Summit Racing).

Thanks again,

MN

rustystud

Would the 50w synthetic trans lube be a good choice for the Rockwell t-case also? I went ahead and ordered some 50w synthetic trans lube. Trans is, and will be, draining overnight, and will be filled with the new stuff when the "Brown Truck of Happiness" drops it off tomorrow. Would've gone with the Spirax, but the cheapest, smallest quantity I found was a 5 gal bucket @ about $270 with shipping. So, bought 2 gals of the Lucas instead (with free shipping from Summit Racing).

Thanks again,

MN

Since the transfer-case is meant to "shift on the fly" the Spirex 50W would be an excellent choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks