• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lubricating Lunette/Pintle?

emr

Actually ... They do wear and grease would and does help them last alot longer, fact, do most do it? no, should all tow hitch balls and all connections like this be greased, the answer is Yes, do most say its not neccassery ? Yes, should U ...yes, will U use your truck that much that it will wear in your life time, Maybe, I do, so I grease em all, Like said prior, "it (the grease)wont last long, well that is why U need to grease tacktical vehicles and all grease points offten, If a ty rod has no grease fittings ? should it be greased? Well yes they are grease ends for a gun that will slide under or poke thru the rubbers and let the grease in, My fork lift gets grease on every knuckle,and yes it does not last long, so it gets done alot. but it should be done, :driver:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also depends on the loading of the trl. If the the trl is tongue light, the lunette will catch and bang more as it bounces around. Tongue heavy loading will fix that problem.
If you grease the lunette, all you will do is attract sand and junk that will wear the lunette and pintle even more.:mrgreen::cookoo:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also depends on the loading of the trl. If the the trl is tongue light, the lunette will catch and bang more as it bounces around. Tongue heavy loading will fix that problem.
If you grease the lunette, all you will do is attract sand and junk that will wear the lunette and pintle even more.:mrgreen::cookoo:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I'm thinking. Some dry graphite type lube may work better.

I think whatever you use is going to make a mess. I know if I put grease on mine, every time I walk by the trailer I'd bump into the lunette and get grease all over me.

hwcurtice

Well, I tried some Spray on lithium grease. Sprayed the pintle and lunette. No grinding sound. No binding.

Little messy, but worth the $5.00 for multiple applications. And its still on after the morning downpour as well!

Columbia10

Interestingly enough, I've experienced this binding ever since picking up my first M101A1. Sometimes its loud like a gunshot and causes my jeep to shake. It only happens when backing up or turning slowly. Well, today something felt off and after investigating, it turns out the lunette got about a 20 degree bend it in. No idea how this would happen, but I'm assuming it had something to do with the binding.