• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nut size on M105A2 trailer? Anyone know off the top of their head?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heading out tomorrow to pick up a trailer at an auction site and want to make sure I have the correct socket size in case I have to pull off a wheel.

Bringing tools, grease, PB Blaster, tow lights, MAPP gas torch(just in case), anti seize, jack, jack stands, generator, extension cords, electric impact gun, pintle hitch, tie down straps, couple of pieces of pipe for cheater bars, 3/4 ratchet/socket set, 1/2 inch set, hammers, chisels, pliers, 3 3/8 8pt spindle nut socket, tarp, rags, hand cleaner, large wrench box, a couple of pieces of chain. Also bringing 2 cans of green slime and pancake compressor. Hopefully won't need either of them.

So, just to make sure I have the right socket for the wheel lugs, anyone know the size off the top of their head?

Also, the drivers side are left handed threads.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Isn't it 1.5" like the Deuce is? Should be the same tires also 9:00 x 20" with the rim matching the Deuce front tires. Correct me if I am wrong some one.

Good luck on your recovery. What are you towing it with?

A Toyota Tacoma 4WD will tow it if you watch your stopping distances closely.

Proof: Tacoma towing M105a2.jpg

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't it 1.5" like the Deuce is? Should be the same tires also 9:00 x 20" with the rim matching the Deuce front tires. Correct me if I am wrong some one.

Proof: View attachment 718558
Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some obscure size and be looking for one down the road.

Will be towing with a lifted Dodge Ram 2500 4wd with Cummins diesel. Got a 5 ton pintle hitch that should sit pretty high along with the truck height. From your picture, I think my truck floor would sit just below mid door on your pickup.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yep, it should be a 1.5" socket. Left side should have left hand threads unless someone changed something (which I've had happen). They'll probably be marked with either an L or R.

FloridaAKM

They are more fun to pull with the Deuce or the LMTV as you don't even know it is back there till you go to back up, then you need a backup camera or/and a spotter. The recovery of the second M105A2 (I won two trailers for that auction) was done with the Toyota as I had to be back to work early or I would have used the Deuce again. Try pulling a M-1082 trailer with your Dodge, it would kill my Toyota; but the Deuce towed it like a champ. The LMTV is made to drag it anywhere it is needed. Good luck on your recovery tomorrow, mine have all been a walk in the park.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are more fun to pull with the Deuce or the LMTV as you don't even know it is back there till you go to back up, then you need a backup camera or/and a spotter. The recovery of the second M105A2 (I won two trailers for that auction) was done with the Toyota as I had to be back to work early or I would have used the Deuce again. Try pulling a M-1082 trailer with your Dodge, it would kill my Toyota; but the Deuce towed it like a champ. The LMTV is made to drag it anywhere it is needed. Good luck on your recovery tomorrow, mine have all been a walk in the park.
Thanks for the well wishes! I pull a twin piston, tandem axle steel dump trailer with steel ramps nested underneath it, with this truck and the trailer itself is almost 1000 lbs heavier than the M105A2. The truck feels the dump trailer somewhat with a load in it(usually wood chips or #57 stone) but empty it tows like its not there. I really don't foresee any issues other than the tires on the trailer being road worthy for the 650 mile trip. I'll just take it easy and it should be ok.

I usually pulled this type of trailer with a 5ton or deuce in the army and you're right, the deuces and 5tons pull them loaded to the gills with ease. Backing can be a challenge but I usually tried to put it in a spot that was "drive through" if possible. Not familiar with the M1082.

Last edited:

drivebymashing

Im also picking up a m105a2 from an auction. Im bringing the same stuff with me. mine said it has 11.00x20s? Not sure why hopefully its a misprint. Mine said parking brake is stuff Im going to sawzall the cable off hopefully that fixes it.
Im pulling it with a nissan xterra. Underpowered but it has 4.90 gears.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
M105A2s usually have 9.00 x 20 tires. They also have tubes so even if the tires are a little weathered still should be good. I recovered mine in NJ and brought a lot of the same items and only needed my 2 pound sledge to remove the side racks for better towing. Pulled it back to Cape Cod in an ice/snow storm on the interstates and pulled great. Maybe even helped with adding a little weight on the truck. Used removable trailer lights and a pintle mount moved all the way up as far as it would go. Good luck you guys.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

The M-1082 is the LMTV trailer of choice that weighs 7k empty. That said, here is how I rigged my lights for the trip home.M-105A2.jpg Unlike the OP, & only had to go 75 miles home, not 650. Make sure you check your hubs frequently @ the start of your trip for over heating.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Proof: View attachment 718558
Proof?
I wouldn’t be bragging.
You were lucky to get home in one piece since that trailer can wag that little truck around without any trouble.
I know the truck can pull it just fine.
Handling and stopping it is a totally different issue.
You can watch and be careful about distances all you want. It just takes that one idiot cutting in front of you and slamming on the brakes to ruin your day and year.

LE & Lawyers would’ve had a field day with you.

Just because the recovery was successful doesn’t mean it was smart or legal.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M-1082 is the LMTV trailer of choice that weighs 7k empty. That said, here is how I rigged my lights for the trip home.View attachment 718609 Unlike the OP, & only had to go 75 miles home, not 650. Make sure you check your hubs frequently @ the start of your trip for over heating.
Thanks, and yes on checking the hubs. If I can find a spot to work on it in the yard(if they will allow it) or nearby, I intend to at least pull the grease caps off and check to see the condition inside them and if necessary I'll add some grease or pack the bearings depending on what they look like.

That trailer sure doesn't look like its 7k or even close.

Here's what I pull.
Curb weight 3600lbs. GVWR=14,000lbs.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the M-1082, that empty weighs 7k. The M-105A2 weighs 2750 empty. I use the Deuce or the LMTV to tow it only.

View attachment 718624
Nice looking trailer! I'd never have guessed it was 7k empty though.

I postponed my recovery/pick up date until Thursday. My 3 3/8ths 8pt spindle socket just arrived minutes ago via the big brown truck and I got my truck tires balanced this morning. Got the tools packed, directions printed, release form and invoice in the vehicle so as not to be forgotten half way down the road.
Now if the weather doesn't turn to complete crap, it looks like it will be a good time.

drivebymashing

Proof?
I wouldn’t be bragging.
You were lucky to get home in one piece since that trailer can wag that little truck around without any trouble.
I know the truck can pull it just fine.
Handling and stopping it is a totally different issue.
You can watch and be careful about distances all you want. It just takes that one idiot cutting in front of you and slamming on the brakes to ruin your day and year.

LE & Lawyers would’ve had a field day with you.

Just because the recovery was successful doesn’t mean it was smart or legal.
Why wasn't it legal?

drivebymashing

Oh ok cool thanks. From I read in nc if it weighs less than 4k. Not grosses either way I've hauled several you have a better chance of getting struck by lighting than the trailer causing you to wreck... unless your a total moron.

jbayer

Well, technically, the trailer (M105A2) might very well be legal to tow without brakes in FL.

Not with a Toyota Tacoma though.( Read further down for that)

Per the posted link: If the towed weight "EXCEEDS" the following, a supplemental braking device is required.

And for Florida it's 3000 lbs. Key word is exceeds.

316.261 Brake equipment required.

Excerpts from F.S. statutes on towing.
F.S.316.261: (a)Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds

F.S. 316.261 key is "Gross Weight", not Gross Weight Rating, or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

BUT, it also says: 1.The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer.

Toyota Tacoma fails that one.

Looks to me like if the towing vehicle weighs at least 6,900 lbs, it can tow the M105A2 "EMPTY" without it having brakes.

One more caveat though:
(just an excerpt)

2.The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262

C-2 Combination of a two-axle towing vehicle and a trailer with a gross trailer weight of 3,000 pounds or less.......... 43.5% 14 40. (look at the Statute)
Broken down meaning:
From 20 MPH, you MUST be able to stop in 40 feet.

This is all based on my interpretation of what the F.S.S.'s say. I'm not a lawyer, nor law enforcement. (Not preaching what's right or wrong for others to do either)

I will also say though, I did tow mine with my 07 4wd Tahoe from the local DRMO, about 40 miles.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks