• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lug nut torque

toddm

I am putting different tires on my M35A2 and am wondering what the torque spec is for the wheels, it must be alot because I can't budge the nuts with a 3/4 ' breaker bar with a two foot pipe on it. I guess I'll have to take it to work and use the 3/4" impact. But I still need to know how tight to go when putting them back on. Thanks Todd Martin

papercu

lug nut

It will be found in the -10 and/or the -20 but there are a number of things you need to be aware of when taking wheels off and on. Read first, read again, understand and then do. Wayne

WARNING
If there is obvious damage to wheel components, stand to the side of
the tire wheel assembly and completely deflate tire before removing
wheel from axle. Failure to do so can result in exploding wheel
components and injury or death to personnel.

spicergear

RE: lug nut

On the '53 REO I had for a little while it had a busted front out axle shaft. I couldn't get the lugs loose by any ordinary (cheating with pipe) means. What I ended updoing was taking the socket, breaker bar, and 5' pipe lenth, putting them on the lug nut...then at the end of the pipe I had a cinder block with a piece of 2x4 across it so that the pipe wouldn't get scraped up by the cinder block. Passenger side nuts require the vehicle to drive forward to loosen them by this means. As the truck crept ahead, the tires rotation on the propped up cheater bar assembly broke all six loose this way. Sure does make a heck of a KA-BLANG as each nut breaking loose and the breaker assembly going flying off sure does sound like the thing just broke. ...which that is amusing too when you go to Sears and plop a busted 3/4" breaker bar on the counter. :)

toddm

I went to where I work and used the big impact wrench and it even had a tough time removing the nuts. Good thing I didn't have a flat before.

Boatcarpenter

How do you do it?

I would assume that everyone that has changed a Deuce tire does not have a 3/4 inch drive torque wrench to retighten with so what do you do? Just tighten the bejeezus out of them, run it a while, and then tighten the bejeezus out of them again? Or do you figure how long a cheater pipe you need to have on there based on your weight to get the correct torque?
Thanks,
BC

yorkgulch2

RE: How do you do it?

The TM says 325-350 ft-lbs. The appropriate torque wrench starts at a couple hundred bucks. I got an earthquake 3/4 from harbor freight to get them off. I also talked to several exmil deuce mechanics who said they torque them to 150 ft-lbs and have been doing so for years with no problems. That way they can still get them off.
I believe the torque specs in the TM (sorry I forget where) are the max torque you can apply without snapping them off in use. You could also get a 325-350 torque stick (looks like color coded socket extension). These are also not cheap ($70-100).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks