• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nuts damaging the rims.

erasedhammer

So went to get my tires balanced and the mechanic at Les Schwab told be I should replace my wheels because the lug nuts have dug into them that they have bored out part of the tapered edge. He said that they could back off on the highway. The wheel in question has never had any issues with a year of ownership by me, so knock on wood they seem fine.

Is this really the case? If the lug nuts have been torqued down too hard too many times by the military and have carved out the tapered edge on the rim do they really need replacing?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be just the opposite of loose lug nuts and the wheel wallowing out the hole as it had play. Could also be other symptoms of driveline and bearings.

someoldmoose

Sounds like they want to sell you wheels. Yes, this can happen but it requires ridiculous over-torquing (no one EVER tightens lug nuts with an impact gun, right ?) many times (motor pools always use a torque wrench, right ?). Do the nuts allow you to SEE any of the tapered seat on the wheel when properly torqued or is any galled metal visible around the edge of same? If yes, replace the wheels(s) that do so. If no, thank your service technician for bringing this to your attention and find another tire service provider,

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Sounds like they want to sell you wheels. Yes, this can happen but it requires ridiculous over-torquing (no one EVER tightens lug nuts with an impact gun, right ?) many times (motor pools always use a torque wrench, right ?). Do the nuts allow you to SEE any of the tapered seat on the wheel when properly torqued or is any galled metal visible around the edge of same? If yes, replace the wheels(s) that do so. If no, thank your service technician for bringing this to your attention and find another tire service provider,
On some of the edges bare metal is very visible. But on others it's completely fine.

someoldmoose

Well then, I already advised you what to do. Use the information at your own discretion.

If you doubt their safety, replace them AND replace the lug nuts also. I would also recommend replacing the affected studs as they were overtorqued also. It's a system. All items were involved.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
replace anything that looks like a safety issue and one thing I started doing on my trucks years ago is put a drop of oil on the lugnut before you torque it down on the stud!
Karl

someoldmoose

Karl kostman, one drop won't hurt but I recommend either nothing ( clean and dry threads ) or ARP - 100-9909 Ultra Torque. The ARP compound offers a slight anti-seize capabilty as well as allowing accurate torque. Highly recommend for alloy wheels on anything (including in the seat area of the wheel and nut / bolt). And, as always, use a TORQUE WRENCH.

ari

I dont see how a hmmwv lug can back out on its own since they maintain a crap load of tension all the way off. its hard enough to take em off with a lug wrench

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks