• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lugnut removal / installation tip

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was changing some tires on our KW today and thought I'd pass this along ( the KW has the same lugnuts as a deuce). When you put the lugnuts back on install the themble (inner nut) dry but put some anti-seize lubricant on the outer nut. This insures that the outer nut will come off without spinning the themble. It's a real pain if the themble comes loose before the outside wheel is removed. about the only way to get it off when this happens is with a torch or a geared lug wrench. We've been doing this for years on all of our trucks with good results.

Hammer

1" dual hammer impact works even better ;)
I use anti-seize on all threads, but use the impact for turning them.
I DO know what you mean though. If you don't have an impact, this isn't too bad of an idea.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 1" impact but if the themble spins on you before the outer nut comes off you're still screwed.

dittle

I had one do that on mine so I just took the impact and tightened the thimble down real tight again and then the nut came off. I do anti-seize all of my lugs as well, hate fighting the rust like I had to the first time I took the tires off.

98hd

I had a thimble stick to the outer nut once. Only one stuck, so I remeved all the rest, then reinstalled 2 of the outer lugs to hold the outer wheel against the inner one tightly.

Then I went to remove the stuck outer nut again and the pressure of the outer wheel against the thimble was enough for me to get the outer nut off.

MDSA

I just had a thimble and lug nut stick with the duals on a M200 gen trailer. Put it back on the trailer and poured the oil to it. Tightened the thimble with a 15/16" socket the best I could. A couple of days later the lug came right off.

waayfast

Years back I was going to take my old Chevy 1 ton flatbed to the dump one Saturday.Decided I would put on the pair of new steer axle tires I'd finally been able to afford, then make the trip.Jack up front and procede.2 hours of torch/PB Blaster/jumping up and down on long cheaterpipe got lugs off ONE side.Repeat for other side.Wheels stuck (both sides) to brake drum SO DANG FREAKIN bad,beat wheel with BFH ,then heat wheel with rosebud till ENTIRE face of wheel BRIGHT cherry red--wheel bearing grease so hot it's pouring out of hubs like 10wt oil,now beat wheel until starting to deform by BFH.Repeat for other side.Still stuck.Put lug nuts back on loose.Load truck with stuff to make it heavy(ie;severly overloaded)Drive truck up and down pothole/wash board road till like maniac(any semblance of cool lost hours ago-long term mental state in serious question now)Return to shop with wheels loose now.Jackup-remove wheels-CUT old tires off wheels with cutoff wheel.Install new rubber--install wheels back on truck.Barely make to the dump on time.YES!! I WIN!!! I DID IT!!! :twisted::twisted: Get home--find nail in brand new tire:cry:.

stumps

Years back I was going to take my old Chevy 1 ton flatbed to the dump one Saturday.Decided I would put on the pair of new steer axle tires I'd finally been able to afford, then make the trip.Jack up front and procede.2 hours of torch/PB Blaster/jumping up and down on long cheaterpipe got lugs off ONE side.Repeat for other side.Wheels stuck (both sides) to brake drum SO DANG FREAKIN bad,beat wheel with BFH ,then heat wheel with rosebud till ENTIRE face of wheel BRIGHT cherry red--wheel bearing grease so hot it's pouring out of hubs like 10wt oil,now beat wheel until starting to deform by BFH.Repeat for other side.Still stuck.Put lug nuts back on loose.Load truck with stuff to make it heavy(ie;severly overloaded)Drive truck up and down pothole/wash board road till like maniac(any semblance of cool lost hours ago-long term mental state in serious question now)Return to shop with wheels loose now.Jackup-remove wheels-CUT old tires off wheels with cutoff wheel.Install new rubber--install wheels back on truck.Barely make to the dump on time.YES!! I WIN!!! I DID IT!!! :twisted::twisted: Get home--find nail in brand new tire:cry:.
I have a friend that was trying to take the wheels off of his truck for the first time, and he got them off of the right side, but the left side was a bitch, he tugged, and he pulled, used long pipe extender handles, heated things swore, and cussed, and finally, when he was wits end, he sent me an email and told me about his problem. To which I replied: Right side, right hand thread, Left side, left hand thread. He about cried! He went out, and in 20 minutes had all of his greatly over tightened lug nuts off of his truck.

-Chuck

waayfast

Yep, the lefty/righty thing seems to be a sure trap for the newbies.I also have seen the old trick of techs installing 1 or more incorrect studs(one lefty amongst the rightys) or as I just found recently, atruck with a right hand hub installed on the left.
Jim

littlebob

Yep, the lefty/righty thing seems to be a sure trap for the newbies.I also have seen the old trick of techs installing 1 or more incorrect studs(one lefty amongst the rightys) or as I just found recently, atruck with a right hand hub installed on the left.
Jim
When I was taking off all of my wheels and drums for brake work I found that the left and right middle axle drums were on the wrong side. luckily I was home with the 1" impact and figuired it out before I broke something.

number9

I got my porkchop and lugnut sockets from Tooltopia.

3/4" Drive Square Impact Socket 13/16".......................SUN426S.....$11.83
Budd Nut Wrench (porkchop).......................................KEN30609.....$13.51
3/4"DR X 1-1/2" Deep Impact Socket...........................GRE3048D.....$17.36
3" 3/4" Drive 8 Point Wheel Bearing Locknut Socket....OTC1907......$18.16

They also have the double ended lug wrench with 13/16" square on one end and 1 1/2" on the other. As well as the handle for it.

1-1/2" Fractional Double End Truck Wrench.................KEN32508......$26.28
22 in. Hex Leverage Bar...............................................KEN32318......$15.72

scootertrs

you know, after hours of trying to make sense of the geared lug wrench, I came accross this on this site...Makes a lot more sense now!! Thanks

LanceRobson

Hey, are you guys using a marinade on those pork chops or a dry rub? :roll:

Threaded fasteners hold due to the bolt being stretched and providing a clamping effect. That can be modified by the nature of the clamped assembly, dirt, thread condition, rust, lubrication, galvanizing, etc.

Using a light coat of Never Seez or oil on the threads will reduce the amount of torque needed be about 25%. Never Seez has suspended solids in it and it effects torque differently than oil. I don't understand all the nuances but I gather that more never Seez = less torque.

If you tighten a lubricated thread to dry torque values you are at significant risk of permanently stretching the fasteners and all the safety issues that go with that. Any lube under the shoulder of the nut or bolt will further skew the torque values by further reducing the needed torque. Over torquing of the fasteners can damage any part of the clamped up assembly. In this case you can warp the hubs/drums/rotors, dish or burr the mounting holes in the rim etc.

Here's an easy to read torque chart I like. BOLTS AND TORQUE SPECS

Although it won't help much on the roadside, I have a double shaft impact wrench specifically designed for Budd wheels. The inner shaft is fixed and the outer shaft rotates. Using a special socket, it holds the inner sud while turning the outer bolt. It would even work with the stud/bolt off the truck and just held in your hand. I was lucky enough to get mine (NOS, 1,600 pounds torque) for $125 on epay about six years ago. If you hunt, they are on there every now and then.

Lastly, if you loosen and re-torque the nuts occasionally, you'll have a lot less issues.

Lance