• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lunette compatability?

michigan4x4

could there be another issue with the surge brake or axle that's giving you problems? Something hanging or dragging to make you worry about what your trailer is doing to your truck's drivetrain? Whenever I've worried about too much trailer for the vehicle, the problem seems to manifest itself in the suspension/steering/handling/braking departments...

I'm not saying OP isn't fully capable and qualified, I'm just suggesting a quick PM check to rule out other important factors that may affect how the trailer pulls.

Yep... That is what i am thinking as well. Even at 1340lbs, the trailer seems to be much heavier. I have pulled plenty of loaded trailers with my truck and it has always worked well, but for some reason the A2 just seems unusually heavy.

As I said, the trailer is in great shape... I will get photos in the morning and try to post them here. It was "reworked by VSE corp in 2007" and the bearings were repacked in Nov of 2009 according to the "11/09" written in marker on the hub caps. It tows nice and straight but just seems really heavy given its dry weight.

koolex11

I have towed an A1 and an A2 with my 4 liter Jeep. Unloaded they both tow like a dream, the A2 better than the A1. You you can hardly tell the A2 is there. I have never put a ton of cargo in to test. When I towed my A2, I tried a couple of experiments to see if I could feel the surge brake and it was inconclusive. Hard brake low speed, hard brake highway, brake on steep incline, but I wasn't sure if it was engaging. I might say slightly undertuned OR it would be perfect with a heavy load which is what it was designed for.

But to get back to the point, pulling is no problem in my 12 year old Cherokee, so a Colorado should have no problem. Can you pick the trailer up by hand and move it around with ease? I drag mine in and out of the garage all the time, and I can even push/pull up a slight incline, and I'm no bull elephant.

I would say try that and if it resists then maybe it's time to jack it up, give the wheels a spin, and maybe pull the wheels off. And while they are off, be sure to give the inner-facing parts a fresh coat of paint!

And hurry up with theose pics! :beer:

harleyhouse

I took all of the brake parts off my M101A2 because they were not working when I bought the trailer. I towed it on the first day over 200 miles on interstate and 2 lane roads. It towed fine with my GMC 2500HD crew cab.

I removed the surge Lunette assembly, Brake drums, lines, backing plates, shoe assembly and all the hardware related to the system.

I replaced the lunette with a four position channel a 2" ball coupler and a
2 1/2" unette two 5/8 pins and I can swap it out and change the height for different tow vehicles.

I ground the landing leg mount off and mounted a lighter weight crank down support. That was worth 40+ pounds.

I kept the original 8 lug axle to match my tow rig and I bought matching chrome faced rims with 235-85-16 tires. If I had a smaller tow vehicle I would swap out to alighter axle with aluminum rims.

I also replaced the heavy trailer safety chains with a set of
8000# safety cables off ebay. I like these alot lighter, quieter, snap hooks are nice, and they recoil and stay up above the pavement.

The trailer weighs 1080 pounds dry.

Here is my full trailer build on :

Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripcord01

I have a Tacoma 2011, that I use to pull my trailers around. I don't like pulling the m1116a2 with the truck. I do enjoy pulling the M101 around with the truck. Not a fan of surge breaks but they have a purpose when they work.

koolex11

It looks like Harley did it the right way. I know you don't want to do serious mods (welding), but this will probably be your best option. I think I might copy what he did. Very smart. Very versatile. And I think he just upped the resale value to a non MV buyer. I am inspired.

michigan4x4

It looks like Harley did it the right way. I know you don't want to do serious mods (welding), but this will probably be your best option. I think I might copy what he did. Very smart. Very versatile. And I think he just upped the resale value to a non MV buyer. I am inspired.
I completely agree... Harley... I may try to duplicate what you have done with the hitch. May have more questions once I start..

Thanks for the post!

Jeff

Corprin

I tried a couple of experiments to see if I could feel the surge brake and it was inconclusive. Hard brake low speed, hard brake highway, brake on steep incline, but I wasn't sure if it was engaging. I might say slightly undertuned OR it would be perfect with a heavy load which is what it was designed for.
Don't kill me here guys, but I vaguely remember there being a brake locking pin you could insert into the surge brake assembly when backing a loaded/overloaded trailer up hill or in rough terrain.

The A1 and A2 bits bolt back and forth with no issues; lunette, axle, tailgate, etc. It is not uncommon to see the A3 beds and axles, with A2 wheels and chassis. This was because the A2's were heading into 3rd shop for services and were converted with the new parts.