• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lunette lubrication

BSH

I banged the lunette eye out of the drawbar. Should there be lubrication on the shaft of the lunette to keep it clean, rust-free, and non-binding? What should be used?

I couldn't find anything about this in the M101a2 manual. Thanks,

B

RICE670

Never seize(avalible at most any parts place) will keep it from rust welding in place.Will always ease diassemble in the future.

acetomatoco

The gummint wanted ya to use a little GAA, but a little white lube and/or the neversieze will help ya... put some on the nut threads, too.. Usually if you back the nut off a coupla turns and whack it with a 12 lb hammer, as you probably did, it will pop loose... another method is to put a big bar in the lunette hole and rock it the coupla degrees it can rotate against the lock slot after you loosen the nut a bit... At least the M416 style had a lube fitting...not so for you...

William_Max

Greasing lunette rings

It is fortunate that the lunette rings have a taper shaft, You only have to move them a frog hair before they let go, I run the nut out to the end so it is flush, Then nail it with a big hammer. If you do that you are less likely to bugger up the last thread. I haven't had one yet that was a real problem to get loose. I have had some that probably haven't been apart since the trailer left the factory. Anti sieze should work well. I like to use the water resistant grease they use on Outboard motor control and steering cables.

One thing to check on old military trailers is the wheel bearings. Most of the trailers I have were ok as recieved. There was one however that had barely a tablespoon of grease all told in both sides. Fortunatly the bearings werent burned. Remember that Private Skippy may have been the last person to work on your trailer.

Enjoy your trailer,

Sincerely

Bill

cbvet

RE: Greasing lunette rings

No way to get a swing at the pintle shaft on the generator trailer. Dolly wheel components in the way.
Had to use the gas wrench to heat the area & a lot of PB Blaster. Rocked it as Ace mentioned, & it slid out.
Cleaned & lubed with antisieze.
Should last as long as I do.
Eric
CBVET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks