• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Luverne Style Brush Guard material dimension question for a custom build!

Keesyman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Afternoon Gentlemen,
I am looking to build a luverne style brush guard for my M998A1. I have access to all the metal and a full machine shop full of guys to do the welding, work at a stamping shop with 42 millwrights and tool makers. (Bonus for me guys do work at home for some cash and beer). I have already drawn the guard up in AutoCad to scale and just need to verify the material requirements before I order from Alro Steel.

So 1.) Bar stock for the guard, are the flats 2" wide or 2.5" and thickness? 3/8"?
2.) Verticals, 2.5 "or 3" wide, thickness 1/4" or 3/8"

I have a buddy here at the local "C" battery that is going to look at their motor pool to see, but I don't know if any of the units hmmwv's have any brush guards on them at all to reference against.

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you copy those mounts...there only for the 3 hole bumper...won't work on Electric winch trucks.
I get winch mount brackets made when needed...sold lots a pairs.
DSC_000951.JPG

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Afternoon Gentlemen,
I am looking to build a luverne style brush guard for my M998A1. I have access to all the metal and a full machine shop full of guys to do the welding, work at a stamping shop with 42 millwrights and tool makers. (Bonus for me guys do work at home for some cash and beer). I have already drawn the guard up in AutoCad to scale and just need to verify the material requirements before I order from Alro Steel.

So 1.) Bar stock for the guard, are the flats 2" wide or 2.5" and thickness? 3/8"?
2.) Verticals, 2.5 "or 3" wide, thickness 1/4" or 3/8"

I have a buddy here at the local "C" battery that is going to look at their motor pool to see, but I don't know if any of the units hmmwv's have any brush guards on them at all to reference against.

Any help will be appreciated.
1) 2" x .375" on the flat stock

2) 2" square tubing .250" thickness

brushguard.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be interested in what the radius of the bends in the flat stock is.

Keesyman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You Gentlemen, this is exactly the information I was needing I am looking forward to getting some material and get working on the build. The new project has been eating up a lot of spare time lately be way too easy to sink another 10K in the truck with all the legos to add. :p

MattNC

Take a look at this thread here. Has all the dimensions, material requirements, etc. I build mine this year and its held up well. In the pictures in the thread you can see what I did for simple mounts that still allow it to drop. I painted mine with bedliner which is cheap and dries quick. Its held up great through lots of use. For pins I didn't buy military ones, I just used tractor supply pins.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...e-brush-guard-dimension&p=2222679#post2222679

MattNC

No I just drew it out on paper as its fairly simple in design and then bent it to shape after heating on a forge and mig welded it. You could probably bend it after heating with a rose bud torch if you heated maybe 10" of the bar.

Keesyman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever get this in cad with the correct dimensions
Hey Tom,
I do have the one I had my guys fab up in AutoCad 2018 format, we made it and the mounting brackets as well. If you have a way to open a cad drawing I will post it here. I didn't Dimension the drawing up, as it is an assembly and has front end references for placement. But all the dimensions in the drawing are correct.

1587058439640.png

TOM R

Hey Tom,
I do have the one I had my guys fab up in AutoCad 2018 format, we made it and the mounting brackets as well. If you have a way to open a cad drawing I will post it here. I didn't Dimension the drawing up, as it is an assembly and has front end references for placement. But all the dimensions in the drawing are correct.

View attachment 796401
Yes i have a friend that can open the file and print it 1 to 1 for me

Keesyman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a way to scaleee that so we can print since theres no dimension
The drawing is to scale in inches, I didn't fill the drawing up with on screen dimension markers because it would clutter the assembly drawing. If you go to plot setup and select print scale 1:1 and "extents" and have a designjet or other blueprint size plotter it will print 1:1.

TOM R

The drawing is to scale in inches, I didn't fill the drawing up with on screen dimension markers because it would clutter the assembly drawing. If you go to plot setup and select print scale 1:1 and "extents" and have a designjet or other blueprint size plotter it will print 1:1.
Thanks ill let him know

TOM R

20200423_192332.jpganyone know the legt right dimension for that upright i mocked up on drivers side between the turn signal and bo driveing light