• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LVS Rear body units delivered

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were never designed to be operated without a rear body unit.
Actually they WERE designed to be operated WITHOUT the RBU, but ONLY during coupling or uncoupling operations and during maintenance functions.

To better state what I think you intended.....

"They were never designed to be TACTICALLY operated without a rear body unit."

I hope that helps without being offensive.

Truckoholic

A HEMTT is my absolute ultimate dream military vehicle to own! And here recently seeing the prices that the two halves have been going for, I see it as a very real possibility for me to get my hands on one of these things!

Truckoholic

Actually they WERE designed to be operated WITHOUT the RBU, but ONLY during coupling or uncoupling operations and during maintenance functions.

To better state what I think you intended.....

"They were never designed to be TACTICALLY operated without a rear body unit."

I hope that helps without being offensive.
I had been wondering that. Not because I would plan on actually operating it without the RBU, but for loading purposes I had been curious if I bought one that was running, if it was actually maneuverable enough to drive over to, and up onto a lowbed trailer. And now I know I guess. Does only the very front axle steer? Or is it designed to where both front axles steer when it is hooked up to a RBU? Because if both axles steer when it is not hooked up, you would only crab sideways, and would not actually be able to turn. You would be there in the yard just kind of moving back and forth and side to side. Ha ha. But if jthe second axle can be fixed in the straight position, and just the first axle turn, you could actually maneuver it around pretty good.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had been wondering that. Not because I would plan on actually operating it without the RBU, but for loading purposes I had been curious if I bought one that was running, if it was actually maneuverable enough to drive over to, and up onto a lowbed trailer. And now I know I guess. Does only the very front axle steer? Or is it designed to where both front axles steer when it is hooked up to a RBU? Because if both axles steer when it is not hooked up, you would only crab sideways, and would not actually be able to turn. You would be there in the yard just kind of moving back and forth and side to side. Ha ha. But if jthe second axle can be fixed in the straight position, and just the first axle turn, you could actually maneuver it around pretty good.

While I have no actual hands-on experience - just a wealth of learning from here on the SS Site - Yes, the rear axle steering on the "tractor" can be locked/pinned (or something) to make it a VERY SHORT WHEELBASE & VERY NOSE-HEAVY/UNSTABLE little 4-wheeler, thus facilitating jockeying between rear units.

Kinda makes them the ultimate GI Joe multi-purpose interchangable body/multi-function "toy".

I visuallize LOW-RIDER HYDRAULICS adapted to the front axle to compensate for the radical "nose-dive" effect of heavy braking. (In my mind, it plays as a "cartoon" with no realistic tone at all.) Might need to add some "Wheelie Wheels" (like on the rear of dragsters) for those front axle balancing events.

paradeduty

Hey Bigmellon -

Sounds like you have a decent runner! Can you get this together and roadable before the Veterans Weekend Show in Warren, MI the last weekend in July? Its in conjunction with the 70'th anniversary of TACOM. Show is FREE (except for diesel for the trip!) for everyone except vendors. I'm going to have (definitely) the M1074 PLS w/ M1076 PLS Trailer and (hopefully) the HMTT prototype (in the shop) and the M985 HEMTT Ammunition/Cargo (waiting for paint) w/ M989A1 Ammunition Trailer there. Sure would make a very cool group photo-op and display! No excuses - you are actually a little closer to Warren than I am!

Kalashnikov

So what are your plans for it (them?)? Definitely would like to get one in the future. Anymore pics of the FPU? Interior would be nice for those who haven't seen then close up.

bigmellon

Hey Bigmellon -

Sounds like you have a decent runner! Can you get this together and roadable before the Veterans Weekend Show in Warren, MI the last weekend in July? Its in conjunction with the 70'th anniversary of TACOM. Show is FREE (except for diesel for the trip!) for everyone except vendors. I'm going to have (definitely) the M1074 PLS w/ M1076 PLS Trailer and (hopefully) the HMTT prototype (in the shop) and the M985 HEMTT Ammunition/Cargo (waiting for paint) w/ M989A1 Ammunition Trailer there. Sure would make a very cool group photo-op and display! No excuses - you are actually a little closer to Warren than I am!
Count me in!!! That sounds like fun. I actually hope to have this thing on the road within the next few weeks... Well, barring insurance issues that is.

I have some parts being driven up here this weekend. Cross your fingers we got the right ones, and this pig might be mobile next week!!

:doghead:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A HEMTT is my absolute ultimate dream military vehicle to own! And here recently seeing the prices that the two halves have been going for, I see it as a very real possibility for me to get my hands on one of these things!
What have they been running? Last time I checked the FPU was 16K or so....

Truckoholic

What have they been running? Last time I checked the FPU was 16K or so....

I guess I can't really make a good judgment as to what they have been running, because come to think of it, I think it was just one that I happened to see go for $12,000 in good running condition. I have no idea what the RBU's are going for since I just the other day finally saw some listed and put them on my watch list, and they are ending next week and the following week.

The last time I saw a complete one for sale from a private party, it was being sold for $30,000. And that is way outside my justifiable budget for a big toy. But it could be possible for me to swing $12-15,000 for an FPU one year, and then be able to get an RBU the following year depending on what the back half goes for. Still a lot of money to have tied up in a dang toy! I can barely justify the $4,000 I spent on my M925!

bigmellon

Received my spare tire and a few goodies today... OMG that was a workout to get the spare tire in place on the MK48 (and I was using a forklift!!). How the heck do they swap tires in the field???

Truckoholic

Received my spare tire and a few goodies today... OMG that was a workout to get the spare tire in place on the MK48 (and I was using a forklift!!). How the heck do they swap tires in the field???
I've wondered that too! I want to put 16.00R20's on my M925A1, but it does not have a hoist or crane on it, and I am thinking I could use the backhoe to put a spare in the bed, and when I get a flat, sure I could get up there and manage to get the tire out of the bed on my own, but getting the flat tire back up into the bed is out of the question. So I would have to leave it on the side of the road and come get it later with some other means or something.

bigmellon

Enlighten me...

Can someone help figure out what these items are for? My guess is they work with one of the RBUs, but I can't seem to determine what they are for...

IMG_5493.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks