• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LWS gun ring or...

colt45727

I have been looking around for a LWS or turret at reasonable prices, but that seems to be a fantasy lol. I got a 1919a4, and now need a ring. I saw a MG42 gun ring but I might want to mount a M2 in the distant future, and correct me if Im wrong but I dont think that it can handle the M2.

So does anyone know a good place to get a some-what cheaper ring?

Another thought was that I looked at some pics of the LWS on here and it seems maybe I could even build a ring like it. Maybe bend some dom tubing and make mount that attaches and has rollers to traverse from one side to another. Kinda like the rollers you see on a ladder at library, when you just push it down the rack to get a book. Sorry for lame comparison, I dont have the right words to describe it lol.

I might just buy the MG42 mount for now, and save more funds for the LWS/ turret. If yall could let me know what you think I would greatly appreciate it.

colt45727

Thanks for the response. Thats what I was kinda thinking about. The lws has a round tube and I would try to make the rollers like whats in the picture. That trolley you posted is for a m49 or m66 right?

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's for a M3 Scout car. I believe some types of Halftracks had skate rails too. Probably the same mount. I think the one you have posted is found on some of the M113 family of APCs. On M66 ring mounts half of the ring rotates above the fixed half. The actual MG mount itself is fixed to the upper half of the ring. I'm not familiar with the M49.

colt45727

Yea that makes sense on the m113. BMG parts has one, but I think he wants $1200 for the setup. That mount looks like it could be easier to replicate. Thanks Sigo

Corret me Im wrong but Im thinking the actual LWS/ turret mount for the hmmwv would be stronger for bigger beltfeds.

Does anyone on here have a LWS or hmmwv setup for sale?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we're thinking of the same HMMWV mount typical of the unarmored roof all I can picture up there is 7.62 and 5.56 machine-guns. I know I've seen M2's and MK19's on HMMWVs, but they were armored. It was probably a different mount. Have you looked in HMMWV TM's? The mounts in HMMWVs are usually part of the truck, vs a M66 or M49 which are separate items, so they are probably covered in the truck TM.

BLK HMMWV

What vehicle are you planning to mount it too?
The HMMWV in your avitar?
Im not familiar with the acronim LWS what does it stand for?

The standard turret on a HMMWV will hold a M240, MK19, M60, M2, PKM, M249, Barrett .50 and even the TOW.

It will end up costing you well over $1,200 for a complete one.

Depending on the setup.
The mount that supports the ring ties into the front windshield(A) pillar, and the B pillar as well as part of the cross par of the C pillar if your using the slant back top.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a photo of the mount I was referring to as the typical unarmored roof turret with an M2. I'm sure it's the same as the standard mount BLK is referring to as well.

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

Thats whats on mine and believe it or not that is /was concidered an uparmored HMMWV in it's day.
Nothing compared to todays but it has the kevlar X doors with the first gen armored skin on top of them and the ballistic glass 5/8 " windshield and 1/2 glass in the doors thats probably late 80's early 90's vintage .
The cradle looks like a MK-64 cradle that the M2 is in .

colt45727

First off thanks for the replies, and LWS stands for Lightweight weapons station. That may be the same thing as we are discussing, I just was repeating what I have seen on here.

The plan is to mount it to the hmmwv in my avatar, but I want to keep the soft top setup like the guy did in this picture on g503.

I was thinking maybe mount it the same way but make a circle cut into the soft top and then take the fabric that was cut, extend it and put a zipper on it so that I can unzip it when I want to use it, and zip it up when Im not.

These are all just ideas in the works, and I appreciate yall letting me know what yall think. Just bouncing ideas around.

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

You may want to just make a stand up mount for the back bed.
It may be cheaper and easier.
The ring mount in your last picture is for a slantback hard top you can see the tab hanging off the back end it should be attaced to another tab mounted on the c pillar. The C pillar in the picture is for a soft top that is why it isn't attached to anything.

You can check out MSG (military systems group) they make a ring mount for the special forces set up it just installs between the A and B pillars and is primarily wide open ( no soft or hard top) Dillon Aero has a picture of his HMMWV with that set up.
Also you can find about 300 plus pages of pictures over on the G503 board under the HMMWV section in the picture forum.
www.G503.com go down to the HMMWV section picture page
Have fun. You will see all kinds of weapons mounts in there.

BH

colt45727

Yea I think he said that he was gonna weld attachments to the pillar for support like he did for the front. Im a member on G503, Ill do a little more research on there and try to figure out what Im gonna do, and Ill look at MSG too, but who knows lol I might just build something, I got a full metal shop to work with.:twisted:

Thanks for all the advice BH

BLK HMMWV

No problem
I have been making a bunch of stuff for mine because I can't find , afford or buy stuff from MGS. But I like seeing what there making and the thread over on the G has some good pictures to work off of.

I sort of turned my truck into a gun truck. I made a set of half doors for it or run it without doors and fabed up my own mounts for mounting the swingarms for M240's at (5) locations inside the truck. I made them so you can also install the full doors without hitting the mounts. I have the primary mount and a secondary mount on the turret up top.

BH

I am making a SF HMMWV conversion with the open style ring support, turret, and half doors. I am compiling together all my turret parts. I might have another complete turret/station in the next month. What do you consider expensive?

I don't have any extra ring mounts, but those are easy to find.

Attachments