• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1009 Transmission Coolers

Lagers4myhead

I have been doing a fair amount of research lately in preparation for my move and one question that I keep hearing is about transmission coolers. As I understand the TM's, all of the CUCV's have them, but I hear a lot of people (some of them have recommended coolers for my journey...2500 miles + might I add) say that if you are going to be towing with the M-1009 that you should add an external cooler. Is this in addition to the one on the truck or is this a replacement? Is this personal preference thing or is this something I really need to do? Any input would be much appreciated.

richingalveston

The stock cooler is actually a warmer more than a cooler. This is by design. It is a small section of the radiator thus allowing the trans fluid to warm with the engine on start up. It does function as a cooler under normal loads. when you load a diesel, any Diesel, the water temp will climb in proportion to the load. Thus you are no longer cooling your tans fluid. a secondary cooler is highly recomended to be used with the one in your radiator. you still want the warming but you also want cooling when driving.

It is best to take the ouput of you existing cooler and run it to an external cooler that will get good airflow when you drive. This way when the engine is cold and not driving it will warm the fluid but when driving with load it will actually cool regarless of the radiator temp.

hope this helps.

biggestc69

External cooler and gauge are a must. Cheap insurance. I bypassed my factory cooler and ran an external Hayden in front of the radiator. Derale deep tranny pan with cooling tubes and an Autometer tranny temp guage hooked into the pressure port on the drivers side of the tranny. This way I know exactly what is going on with it before I ruin a perfectly good tranny. At first I just hooked up the temp guage while running the stock cooler. It was scary how hot it would get with even a little slip. Now even while pulling an 8000 lb load up some pretty steep hills (down into 1st gear at the top) it hasnt gone over 180, and it brings the temp down while sitting there idling, which the factory cooler never did.

Lagers4myhead

External cooler and gauge are a must. Cheap insurance. I bypassed my factory cooler and ran an external Hayden in front of the radiator. Derale deep tranny pan with cooling tubes and an Autometer tranny temp guage hooked into the pressure port on the drivers side of the tranny. This way I know exactly what is going on with it before I ruin a perfectly good tranny. At first I just hooked up the temp guage while running the stock cooler. It was scary how hot it would get with even a little slip. Now even while pulling an 8000 lb load up some pretty steep hills (down into 1st gear at the top) it hasnt gone over 180, and it brings the temp down while sitting there idling, which the factory cooler never did.
I bought a Hayden cooler and it should be here next week. How did you hook it up and did you have to cut the steel lines? How hard was it to install and do you have any advice? Would you have any photos?

Lagers4myhead

The stock cooler is actually a warmer more than a cooler. This is by design. It is a small section of the radiator thus allowing the trans fluid to warm with the engine on start up. It does function as a cooler under normal loads. when you load a diesel, any Diesel, the water temp will climb in proportion to the load. Thus you are no longer cooling your tans fluid. a secondary cooler is highly recomended to be used with the one in your radiator. you still want the warming but you also want cooling when driving.

It is best to take the ouput of you existing cooler and run it to an external cooler that will get good airflow when you drive. This way when the engine is cold and not driving it will warm the fluid but when driving with load it will actually cool regarless of the radiator temp.

hope this helps.
Like the previous reply says, I just bought a cooler. Do you have any advice with the installation? Any photo's? Did you have to cut the steel lines?

richingalveston

still building

cant help with pics or any other advise. I am still building my 1009 and I will be adding one before it is complete.

I think you should be able to use the existing lines. they may need to be bent a liitle since the currenly line up with the conections to the radiator.

you should be able to just extend them with flex lines. I would mount the trans cooler behind the grill and in front of the radiator similar to wher the AC condeser would be.

I did not mention that how you hook it up may also depend on your location. you may want to bypass the one in the radiator if you are in hot climates. If it is 90 degrees outside then the trans fluid will warm up fast enough. however if you are up north, I would not bypass the radiator part because you want to bring your trans fluid up to opperating temp asap.

I am sure others can provide some pics of theirs.

Lagers4myhead

Here are some pictures from when I did the Trans Cooler install a few years ago on my dullay.

It did make a different when pulling a heavy loaded trailer through KY, TN, AL.....Trans fluid stayed cherry red.
Looks good and looks manageable, thank you. How did you hook it up? Did you use the existing steel lines? Did you bypass the existing cooler/warmer?

Stonepicker1

Looks good and looks manageable, thank you. How did you hook it up? Did you use the existing steel lines? Did you bypass the existing cooler/warmer?
I unscrewed the lines from the Rad and put adapter fitting on the line so the rubber hose would slide on and then hose clamp(I don't like cutting lines and I can go back to stock easy)
It's hooked up: Trans to external cooler to Rad cooler to Trans.

This is great info although old. I'm having an external cooler installed on my truck after reading this. Plan on plowing with this over the coming winter. This should help out quite a bit.

Stonepicker1

I've pulled some long heavy loads with this cooler installed and the transmission fluid is still cherry red. A Trans cooler is a "must have" if you are using your truck to pull loads.