• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1028 Paint job, 383 green CARC / Rock Slider installation.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check this out.

BEWARE of chemical agents and their effects. I pop-ed the can top off to check it out and took a whiff.

I wouldn't do that again, I had double vision for a few minutes.

Attachments

Last edited:

135gmc

Be careful working with CARC - the chemicals in it include some ugly stuff that you can become sensitized to. The Army requires a supplied-air respirator to spray this stuff.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DynaMat

I finally got around to the Dynamat installation. The shop was chilly so the product was stiff until I had a chance to get the shop light to warm it up. The cab will take the entire box, I was hoping to have some extra for the hood. Here are some pics for reference. I also was at home depot and looked at the peel and stick. Next time I might try that instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a cool spot to put a pioneer tool kit. I am going to mount on the back wall with the Hi Jack. Pics to follow after the carpet is laid.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done quite a bit of sanding and painting CARC.

I always wear a dust mask when sanding and always sanded outside.

When painting CARC, i found it easy to apply. The one thing i found is you have to mix it constantly. Thoroughly shake the cans prior to mixing the two parts with water. mix the paint with a squirrel cage mixer. If you made more paint then would fit in the gun, be sure to thoroughly mix the paint again before re-filling the paint gun. I wore a standard paint booth paint resporator.

Just my 2cents

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigmike,

Thanks for the heads up. Primer goes on Wednesday. Installed a 12NT diesel fuel booster pump. Wired it to the fuse box 10a. Kipman said I would be glad I did and he was right. The truck has some new life, starts in 5 seconds or less cold. Pics to follow.

I also completed the Dynamat. I doubled up. Now for some thick insulation and a decent rubber mat. If I cant find one, the original one will have to do. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 rolls of Peel and stick for the hood. The dealer has the insulation ready for pick up. Trim and plastic anchors. Pics to follow.

I was also hauling rocks.

Attachments

bshupe

Bigmike,

I also completed the Dynamat. I doubled up. Now for some thick insulation and a decent rubber mat. If I cant find one, the original one will have to do. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 rolls of Peel and stick for the hood. The dealer has the insulation ready for pick up. Trim and plastic anchors. Pics to follow.
Did you have to do much prep to get the DM to stick to the floor? Did you put in the doors as well?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only prep work I had to do was take an air hose and spray out the dirt. The whole floor was dry and rust free. I coated the drivers side floor with an oil base roof coating for added protection. I go over board sometimes.

I am doing the doors Tuesday and the NOS hood I got from Memphis Supply. Every CUCV I have seen has a center hood crease, the original hood was junk. The hood cage separated and had a rattle noise. I am doubling up on peel and stick from HD. It's 1/5Th the cost even on double up and 1/4" thicker. I think the trick is the aluminum tape as an added bonding agent. I call it working smarter not harder.[thumbzup]

Shakum-Deep sent me out a set of custom Grab Bars I should get them Tuesday and install them when I finish the hood and doors. This project is slowly coming together. I am still looking for a decent center console. I might just use a large Ammo can and bolt it to the floor.

michigan4x4

Don looks like she is coming along nicely... Cool project. I am looking at probably painting my m101a2 trailer this summer. Don't think I will be using CARC though.

Probably just scuff the original CARC, spray an epoxy based primer, and then a top coat of color. I need something that is going to hold up well when I take the trailer to deer camp through the two tracks and brush of the upper Penn.. CARC seems to scratch and scuff pretty easily. I may paint the entire trailer with Chassis Saver and then topcoat it with an automotive paint... Not sure at the moment. Keep the photos coming... Looking good!!

Jeff

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having computer problems. Kipman suggested this 12v fuel pump. I am glad he did the truck 6.2 starts in 5 seconds COLD. It never started that good before.

I also had time to insulate the NOS hood from Memphis Equipment. The old hood isFREE TO ANYONE, PICK UP ONLY..! Its still good you just have to re epoxy the skeleton to the skin.

I used Fat Mat first then Peel and stick to double up. Also used this amazing aluminum tape for seams and added sealing. Next to install is the 1.5" factory insulation with the plastic clips. Tomorrow she gets the primer coat. This has been a fun project so far.:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

ryan77

I just did my m1008 with the home depot peel and stick the trick is use a propan torch and get the stuff hot and then stick it on! The roofers always heat that stuff up with a torch for better bonding!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you recomend me heating it up now thats its applied..? I will if it will make it stay on forever...? I will do the cab as well. Thanks for the tip. [thumbzup]

ryan77

Don, I heated the piece until the tar got gooey and stuck it on! Now that its on i would leave it alone! I did notice a big difference with the Peel and stick and Carpet its a lot quieter now!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the Intel. The floor was warm from a salamander heater I also ran the truck heater for about an hour. Once warm the fat mat and peel and stick got gooey.

Can't wait for my first quiet ride. Kipman also suggested running a 6.5 air intake with the tube going to the front grill. I think that will help out alot on sound as well. Maybe I'll get a stereo and actually hear it for a change.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks