• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 105 Axle Swap

shrevestang

I am finially ready to order my new axle for my M105. I am going to order a drop axle, but i was wondering if a 6,000 axle would be fine or if i need a heavier one, My measurements are a 40" spring center and a 79" hubface (if i measured correct). I know that the trailer weighs about 2500 Lb without the axle and those heavy tires, and i dont plan on loading it with anymore that 2000lbs in it. Thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I 2nd the motion. The M101 was made for pickup sized vehicles. As for your question above, 10 ply tires are rated for 3000#, so unless you run duals, a 6000# axle would be adequate. However, a M105 with a 6000# axle and 235R x 16's , would look like a pearl onion on a banana split!

Lee in Alaska

maxim

The M-101 is much more suited and you don't have to get into any modifications. Flip the pintle, get nice receiver that wil accomidate a pintle, and put on some 12 volt lights. The best of all worlds, no bother to keep switching lightbulbs, and the Mil light cable can stay intact for pullng with the CUCV or M-37 in your future. The M-101 pulls so nice behind a pickup you don't even know its there. And the tounge is not so doggone heavy when it comes time to move it around the garage or shop.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Because a 101 is meant for lighter vehicles, the prices are going up. I don't see any reason for him not to mod his trailer. Post pics for us to see how it come out.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the time you order a new axle and mess with the tires ect, you just offset the price of the 101.

shrevestang

I will post pics after i am finished, I am using this trailer because it was given to me, Someone told me to get the thing off their property and i could have it. A 4" drop axle with electric breaks custome made for me will only run $ 200 including shipping

Blythewoodjoe

You will be happier if you just build a new frame. I have done that a few times and it's not too much work or money. I have pictures somewhere I can round up if you would like.

Blythewoodjoe

Here's one I did last summer. It's not much material and much lighter. This is a M101 and I haven't taken any pictures of the M105 I have like this. The best part is you can always put the frame back under the M105 if you ever buy a deuce.

This trailer is not complete because I have been trying to get my brother to buy some tires and finish it so he will stop borrowing my trailer :lol:

Yes, those are golf cart tires. All it needs to be finished is a swing up jack and a coupler.

Coupler: $15.00
Steel: $65.00
Jack: $30.00
Tires: ? size will determine
Axle: ? size will determine

I hate to admit it but I plan to put mobile home axles under all my new projects like this. I have about 4 of them sitting around and I can buy new rims for about $23.00 and tires are about what you would expect for any small trailer tire.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks