• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m 105 bow removal questions

mattyboy

so i recovered my trailer today with out issue and is in better shape than expected. i was excited to see that when the gov. rebuilt 3 years ago they replaced spring rivets with bolts. dont have to fight with airchisel. question is how to remove bows and sides. i see the tabs that the front and back slide into but they will not budge. i tried to persuade with a 5 pound hammer and started to bend aluminum slats any advice would be grateful. thanks matt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Capitalize, it's in the rules.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And search before posting.

SteveKuhn

I posted in the 116 thread but I'm not so sure my fix for that would be my choice on a 105. I'd go the penetrating oil route for a good long time; I'd use a 2x4 to cushion the impact of banging on the bed sleeves where the racks insert as well as the rack posts, but I'd use a tall Hi-Lift with a board that spans the length of the rack, hooking under the slats (wood, I assume) right at the metal posts (strongest point) to apply upward pressure. If fiberglass, I'd be very ginger about that last step.

I'd be real patient with the penetrating oil and banging part.

Steve

mattyboy

Ok, I must have mispoke. I have no issues with the bows. Problem is that I need to remove side piece s and racks front and back. There are little tabs, but I am unsure of procedere to remove. It seems like the are wedged together. Need to separate 4 racks from trailer. Thanks and sorry Mr doghead I NEVER WAS GOOD AT FOLLOWING THE RULES. Please don't Ban me yet.

Hottrodd789

Use two jacks one at each corner under bottom rail with a piece of wood,,,,go slow alow the pressure to work I did this yester day. They are wedged in there real good!

SteveKuhn

Or . . . they are rust-welded into the stake pockets on the bed. The tabs don't do anything unless the stakes (posts) are loose. Then the tabs keep them from popping up and out. Ignore the tabs until the stakes are wiggling freely all around.

Pressure is fine and it can work but if they're solidly rusted into the stake pockets, all you'll do is jack up the trailer by the rack wood. It's impact that will keep progressively cracking the rust and allowing the next application of penetrating oil to work in deeper. It's a repetitive process and sometimes it's pressure + impact. Bang up, bang down, bang the stakes, bang the stake pockets. Use wood or you'll dent something and that could make it mui-worse.

Although you'll find lots of threads on here for loosening things that "...work every time...", you'll often find out that one thing won't work for your situation. You just gotta keep trying them all -- PATIENTLY -- and eventually it works. I get the feeling you haven't read through that 116 thread that's offered above and if you didn't, you're missing a lot. Same thing, except that I doubt you wanna solve the problem with a Sawzall.

Good luck.

Steve

KsM715

As far as the front and back are concerned, just lift them up with a little outward pull at the tops. There's no complicated "unclipping" or anything like that. Just up and out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently removed the racks from an M105 that were stuck enough that lifting the rack with the wrecker would lift the trailer. We worked each stake with prybars while the trailer was partially suspended with the wrecker. Between that and 200# people jumping in the trailer, they came free. It was not a walk in the park. A porta-power might help too.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just used my backhoe and ripped them out. No problem.

Moved your thread as well.