• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 1078 Road Trip

ciwhamc

Hi all. First post here. Going to be picking up a 95 m1078 in Missouri and driving it to CA. I am planning on taking 9 days and seeing a few sights on the way back. It does not have high speed gears so slow boat I will be. I am planning on taking some spare parts like fuel filters basic tools and other misc goodies. Is there anything I really have to have to make that trip?

I am planing on going I 70 all the way from Missouri to Utah. Up to salt lake and then 80 the rest of the way.

ciwhamc

I forgot to mention I am a mechanic by trade so fixing it should not be an issue. Just parts and tool availability would be the problem

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t even leave until you have checked the driveshafts for spline wear. And if ok, check the tightness of the compressor, water pump and alternator bolts every fuel stop. Also check the fan hub for rubber deterioration.

ciwhamc

Don’t even leave until you have checked the driveshafts for spline wear. And if ok, check the tightness of the compressor, water pump and alternator bolts every fuel stop. Also check the fan hub for rubber deterioration.
Thanks. That sounds pretty straight forward

ciwhamc

Is there an exact about of play that is a no go?

ciwhamc

Found it thanks . Think it’s worth bringing along front and rear spare shafts?

I will do a personal check of the truck before I take it. Luckily it only has 1400 miles on it

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found it thanks . Think it’s worth bringing along front and rear spare shafts?

I will do a personal check of the truck before I take it. Luckily it only has 1400 miles on it
Maybe. What happens to people over and over with these trucks is that driveshaft vibrations transmit up to the engine accessories and shake them loose, cracking the front timing cover and breaking the oil line behind the air compressor resulting in all oil loss in seconds.

WWinAK

Are there any specific tools that are not common that I need to bring?
Curious how your trip went, I bought a ‘97 And will be driving it from New Jersey to Arizona in January. Not ideal time of year for a road trip. Was hoping to gleen some more tips from another cross country vet.

ciwhamc

The trip went well. Broke at water pump belt in Denver but found part and fixed it all in all an easy trip. Longest day was 580 miles and the shortest was about 200.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks